• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Portion sizes for bbq restaurant/deli?

C

Car Wash Mike

I know this is a general question. Amount of meat on a pit beef sammich? $8.95 Number of ribs per serving. $10.95
Both include 1 4oz size and 1/2 lb fries.
thx and I will have more questions as my menu progresses.

Mike, try contacting mike or Amy mills with 17th st BBQ. They teach a class called business of BBQ or something like that. Heard raving reviews from it.

Try starting with 4 and 5 1/3 oz and calculate you cost and then figure out what you want to make and come up with a price. Do the same for sides and fries. If it works out to 8.95 great, if not then different price.

What do other people serve and charge in the area? Ribs depend on spares, st. Louis or BB's. I'd probably do 4 bones plus 2 sides and a drink for 10.95. But I sell spares so 4 bones is a good serving.

No. Google their web site. Maybe some others will chime in who have been to that.

Try starting with 4 and 5 1/3 oz and calculate you cost and then figure out what you want to make and come up with a price. Do the same for sides and fries. If it works out to 8.95 great, if not then different price.

What do other people serve and charge in the area? Ribs depend on spares, st. Louis or BB's. I'd probably do 4 bones plus 2 sides and a drink for 10.95. But I sell spares so 4 bones is a good serving.

None of them serve a pit beef samwich. I can usually get rump roasts at retail for $2 a lb. St. Louis 3 and down for $5 that is wholesale. The rib price is the same, no drinks included. Free ice cream for dessert.
Thx a bunch.

I know this is a general question. Amount of meat on a pit beef sammich? $8.95 Number of ribs per serving. $10.95
Both include 1 4oz size and 1/2 lb fries.
thx and I will have more questions as my menu progresses.

Have you considered selling by the pound like they do down in the Central Texas meccas? No problem with portion control that way and people usually buy more than they can eat so that ups the profit.

Have you considered selling by the pound like they do down in the Central Texas meccas? No problem with portion control that way and people usually buy more than they can eat so that ups the profit.

I did for buy the lb of course but not for sammwiches.

Potatoes are cheap. If you are using fresh fries, twice fry them and give them a pound! Beans....a 4 oz. portion (#4 dipper). Any side like potato salad or cole slaw would be a #4 also. Mashed potatoes, I used a #8 dipper.

Potatoes are cheap. If you are using fresh fries, twice fry them and give them a pound! Beans....a 4 oz. portion (#4 dipper). Any side like potato salad or cole slaw would be a #4 also. Mashed potatoes, I used a #8 dipper.

They are going to be fresh, what does twice fry do? I am not setup for mashed taters. This going to more of a deli style. The slaw and salad will be served in 4 oz. cups.

Twice frying is where you drop the batch of fries in the hot oil and let it cook about half way (3-5 minutes basically blanching in the oil), then pull the basket out and let it hang and rest. Drop them again after a few minutes and finish cooking them til golden. This will make them more firm and less soggy. Your oil should be 350-400*F to fry properly. Allow your fryer to reclaim the temp because you will get soggy fries no matter what ,if your oil isn't hot enough. I cooked fresh fries for several years in a pub and this method helps a lot. We also pre-cut potatoes 5 gallons at a time and allowed them to sit in the walk-in (we added Fruit Fresh to make them crisp up). We would drain them in a sink and rinse them to get the starch out as much as possible. Of course you need to shake as much of the water off the fries before you drop them in the fryer or you will have a splattering issue. Remember the the three things that are not oil friendly.....water, salt, and temperature. Oh yea, don't forget to salt them right out of the fryer.
Good Luck!

I sell my sandwiches for $7.49. They are 8 oz. sandwiches and come with a half pound of fresh twice fried potato wedges seasoned with bbq rub. I do rib plates that come with 4 bones of spareribs, 2-8oz. sides and 4 oz. bbq sauce for $8.99

Back