sprayer suggestions for mops

jonboy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I am having trouble finding a spray bottle to use for mops, etc.
Everything i have found seems to stop up from the use of spices in the mop.
I wasn't able to find any info thru a search.
I have tried a bbq mop also but they seem to affect the bark.
Any suggestions ?
I was thinking about a garden type sprayer if i was doing a huge bbq.
I would like to find something that works when only doing a couple of butts on an egg or smoker.
jon

mop and spraying are just a waste of time imho. Looking = no cooking. you want good bark, skip the mop or spray, leave the lid closed and let the meat weep!

I don't use a spray bottle or mop either, however there are a few out there that have a mesh filter on the straw that might help prevent clogging.

I've also seen folks use small (and large) pressurized garden pumps for spraying things down. I'd say in a few weeks stores will stock the shelves with their spring inventory and you'll start to see them everywhere.

If it's a real big issue, you might have to strain your stuff through several pieces of cheese-cloth (or pantyhose). Might even make a filter out of that using a rubberband or something. :?: :confused: :?:

spray-bottle_Full.jpg

56b6994b8837f76427d7eba12306a840.gif

I have used a large Hudson Sprayer at times.

At one time I designed a system that actually sprayed the entire internals of the smoker without ever having to lift the lid. Its was quite elaborate I think my air supply was a device used for medical nebulizer, the type they use for ashtma. Even came up with stainless steel nozzles that would not clog.

Use a Hudson Sprayer. You need to, when you create your mop, (which I do not endorse anymore) when you create your mop, of course you will have a vinegar in it; mostly because not having vinegar in it would be... well... we won't got there..... heeeeyyyyyy.

Seriously, bring Aretha to a mother popcorn for about 5 to ten minutes your spices in that Aretha Franklin solution THEN add the rest of your liquids and reduce to a Phillip Baily then close the high hat up and let it break out in a cold sweat and strain VERY VERY well. Cheesecloth is good. I used those car paint filters that were disposable.

This will do.

Attachments

• sprayer.jpg
    sprayer.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 186
Go to Wally World and look in the travel section of their...what, personal item section? Toothpaste, shampoo, etc. They have little spray bottles that are cheap and work perfectly.

Go to Wally World and look in the travel section of their...what, personal item section? Toothpaste, shampoo, etc. They have little spray bottles that are cheap and work perfectly.

I went to the cleaning section and found spray bottles that spray in all directions, and even when upside down, using ground ingredients seems to help me also in the clogged sprayer area.

Do what I do...mix your mop/spray in a bottle. Open your lid. Take a swig...hold in mouth...and spray until mouth is empty. Cheap, organic, and green. YMMV. :)

Do what I do...mix your mop/spray in a bottle. Open your lid. Take a swig...hold in mouth...and spray until mouth is empty. Cheap, organic, and green. YMMV. :)

Why not drink it a few hours prior and filter it yourself before squirting it on your ribs? (if you know what I mean) :p

Why not drink it a few hours prior and filter it yourself before squirting it on your ribs? (if you know what I mean) :p

Tried that once...burned the hair off my...well, you know :eek:

Thanks for the help so far. :)
Heading out to the store to buy some beer and do some research.
I wonder if anyone will think my pork butts taste like .....:)
I made up a vinegar mop, chris lilly version and the cayenne is clogging up the spray bottles. I dont have any cheese cloth around to strain, but will try running it thru the coffee pot. That should heat it up and filter it at the same time.:)
jon

Thanks for the help so far. :)
I dont have any cheese cloth around to strain, but will try running it thru the coffee pot. That should heat it up and filter it at the same time.:)
jon

Use pantyhose.

See if you can find a sprayer with one of those filters already attached to the straw (look at top pic i posted earlier).

I am having trouble finding a spray bottle to use for mops, etc.
Everything i have found seems to stop up from the use of spices in the mop.
I wasn't able to find any info thru a search.
I have tried a bbq mop also but they seem to affect the bark.
Any suggestions ?
I was thinking about a garden type sprayer if i was doing a huge bbq.
I would like to find something that works when only doing a couple of butts on an egg or smoker.
jon

I bought a spray bottle from Ace hardware and it works great. It cost more (4 or 5 dollars) but has been working for 3 or 4 years.

Grind your spices in a coffee bean grinder before adding to the liquid. Cook for a while and then strain before using the liquid. Be careful because it will change the color of the finished product.

I went to the cleaning section and found spray bottles that spray in all directions, and even when upside down, using ground ingredients seems to help me also in the clogged sprayer area.

I bought a spray bottle from Ace hardware and it works great. It cost more (4 or 5 dollars) but has been working for 3 or 4 years.
The reason these bottles, etc. are in the cleaning section, and not in the
food section; is because they are NOT SAFE to use with food.

They will leech dangerous chemicals into the liquid, and then onto your
food and into your body. If you buy something at a hardware store
ask them if it is rated safe to use with food.

Only use buckets, bottles, containers, etc. that are rated safe to be used
with food.

Is it worth risking your health, and your family's health; just to save
a few dollars?

Back