Turbinado vs. Sugar in the raw?

M

Metalbender

Can sugar in the raw be used in place of Turbinado sugar for rubs?
What is the difference between the two sugars?
They look identical to me on the packaging.........

Not to be confused with Brown sugar or Demerara (sugar).

Turbinado Sugar

Turbinado sugar, also known as turbinated sugar, is made from sugar cane extract. It is produced by crushing freshly cut sugar cane; the juice obtained is evaporated by heat, then crystallized. The crystals are spun in a centrifuge, or turbine (thus the name), to remove excess moisture and molasses, resulting in the characteristic large, light brown crystals.[1][2][3]
Turbinado sugar is similar in appearance to brown sugar but paler, with larger crystals, and in general the two can be exchanged freely in recipes. Turbinado sugar differs from refined white sugar in that it is obtained or crystallized from the initial pressing of sugar cane. Turbinado and demerara sugars are not the same. Edouard Rollet, cofounder of Alter Eco, a food imports company that sells sugars, describes Demerara as having a mild molasses flavor. Turbinado, he says, contains hints of honey[4]. United Kingdom recipes tend to call for demerara, while in the United States, they are apt to use the term turbinado.

In the U.S., most turbinado sugar is produced in Hawaii and is often sold as an organic product. The popular Hawaiian product sold in the U.S. is produced on Maui and marketed under the name brand "Sugar in the Raw."[5]
>>>>gotta love wikipedia<<<<<

They are both sugar with the complex flavor of molasses. Not to be confused with the flavor profile of brown sugar, its simply a different product. A quick search on how its made will reveal a lot about the quality.
. Turbinado dissolves easier, which I consider to be better as when the meat sweats or gets sprayed the dissolved solution maybe soaks in better or makes a better bark. Just my interpretation.
Also turbinado has a more uniform or smooth crystalline structure. Like little balls. As cheap as sugar is I encourage you to buy white, light brown, dark brown, turbinado, raw sugar, and molasses.
Taste them, use them. You learn a lot by tasting each ingredient in your cooking and learn to distinguish good product and improve your flavor.
Also the molasses in your brown sugar is low quality. Putting a tablespoon of GREAT molasses in a cup of white CANE sugar (if it doesn't say cane its made from beets) and spin it in your spice grinder or food processor.

The brown sugar you make is the best tasting, cheapest, and most adaptable/flexible sugar you can get. Experiment and figure out how much molasses to mix and get your best flavor profile for what your cooking. My .02

As far as I know, Turbinado is the same thing as sugar in the raw.

Turbinado and sugar in the raw, taste different, melt different, have different crystals, and feel different in your mouth. Very noticeable.

That is what i thought Turbinado is the same as sugar in the raw. acept price sugar in the ray is way cheaper than any price I have found on sugar in the raw

got to go with the Red pen, and the North West guys know what is what......

Same dang thing in area of the country. Bought both. Ain't no difference.
PARTY!!!!

But, then again, I don't know Jack Squat about it.

Sugar in the Raw is a brand name for a Turbinado product. From their web site:

Sugar In The Raw natural cane turbinado sugar is grown and cut exclusively on a 37,000 acre plantation in central Maui, Hawaii. There, nature’s own sweetener is gently converted into the natural crystals that make Sugar In The Raw. The secret lies in the fact that
Sugar In The Raw is never bleached or over processed. It is the result of slow boiling layer upon layer of high colored cane— allowing the golden crystals to retain their natural molasses and bringing the extra flavor and richness that nature intended. You’ll immediately recognize the difference in our large crystals and deep golden hue.

I like turbinado. I've found I can replace sugar in rubs with turbinado to generally very good effect, especially if the recipe calls for brown sugar. That one is my opinion.

When I first developed my rub it had Turbinado sugar. I used Sugar in the Raw. When I started having my rub commercially produced I continued to use it but the price of it was double that of brownulated sugar. I had a sample made up using the brownulated sugar and did a butt with each. There was no difference in the two sugars when it came to bark, color, or taste. Save your money is what I say. Use brownulated sugar or even white sugar (it has a lower burn temperature so it may not be what you want).

Last edited:
I have always been of the belief that they are the same;
still thinking so,

just sayin'

When I first developed my rub it had Turbinado sugar. I used Sugar in the Raw. When I started having my rub commercially produced I continued to use itbut the price of it was double that of brownulated sugar. I had a sample made up using the brownulated sugar and did a butt with each. There was no difference in the two sugars when it came to bark, color, or taste. Save your money is what I say. Use brownulated sugar or even white sugar (it has a lower burn temperature so it may not be what you want).

I just ordered a case of the Brownulated Sugar...(backordered)...must be a popular item...:cool:

Back