Chili at NewHolland

Smokin' Gnome BBQ

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
just got my "invitation" for NewHolland. Entry fee is going up and say goodbye to sausage and hello to chili with 2pm turn in ( I would love to know why the change happened). The chefs choice is also moving to 11:30am vs. 2pm. Looks like whole hog is still on.

I look forward to this comp, its very well organized.

Sal

Sons of beetches!!!!!! I thought everyone loved sausage???? That also means thatchef's choice may no longer be ruled by desserts. Game on, boys and girls!

Sons of beetches!!!!!! I thought everyone loved sausage???? That also means thatchef's choice may no longer be ruled by desserts. Game on, boys and girls!

As soon as I read Sals post, I thought the same thing about chef's choice. Should be interesting. Where's my invite?:p I'm sure it will be here by Tuesday.

Got mine today. Just when I have a sausage recipe that was winning. I'm glad for the change though. I agree with the deserts might not be a factor now. Maybe that's why the change, same folks with the same deserts year after year and I'm one of them, all though I have placed without a desert in 2006. Bring on the Chili - red, green, meat or bean!

I don't get it. Why would you presume that changing the turn in time would result in fewer dessert entries?

I don't get it. Why would you presume that changing the turn in time would result in fewer dessert entries?

Carl, my thoughts are that the judges wont be all meated out..in past years the judges would have gone through 5 meats by the time the anything butt came around, their palets ( and yours) maybe more receptive to something else other then sweets.

just my 2 cents, but what do I know...

I talked to Red Todd about the change from sausage to chili, the organizing committee talked it over that allot of teams are just buying store bought sausage and not really doing anything to it. So that went out, and in comes Chili, now the switch on chef's choice to 11:30 instead of 2, I'll have to ask him on that one, I'll get back to ya on that.

Sausage had been paying my kids way to some fancy mail order college. :)

As for CC, it had always been the sixth judged category in a three hour timespan (sausage, chicken, ribs, pork shoulder, brisket, then CC) so desserts always made sense and seemed to do well. We'll see what this year brings. I personally am making sausage.

I personally am making sausage.[/QUOTE]
same here. i've been doing good with sausage. and since when is chili bbq

I got mine and can't wait to do chili. Something we know a little about.

My $$ is on Black Cat BBQ for the chili win

I would agree 100% if it wasnt an "open" catagory, not the rules they are used to. looks like ANYTHING goes..and its gotta be cooked over wood or charcoal.

not to mention Chipper is no slouch himself..........

I agree with the deserts might not be a factor now. Maybe that's why the change, same folks with the same deserts year after year and I'm one of them, all though I have placed without a desert in 2006.

I'm still waiting for my carrot cake.:p

I agree with you Dan. Black Cat for sure.

Could definately see it as a good category for Black Cat and Chipper, but I'd bet on Red Todd from campfire cookers, as he is a chili champion as well,, but as mentioned with it being an open category, could be any of us.

Back