• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Saiko's Chili with Ancho, De Arbol and...Bacon! Pron and Recipe

I don't have a grinder just a small food processor, will those spices mess up my food processor?

Hrm, don't know about a small food processor, but a large processor probably wouldn't be able to grind the spices into a powder. You could test it by throwing a small handful of peppercorns into your processor and see what happens. If it is able to grind them into a fine powder, then it should work for the chilis and cumin.

Looks like another winner Saiko! Thank you for sharing, I can't wait to try it. :-D

Hrm, don't know about a small food processor, but a large processor probably wouldn't be able to grind the spices into a powder. You could test it by throwing a small handful of peppercorns into your processor and see what happens. If it is able to grind them into a fine powder, then it should work for the chilis and cumin.

Do what I do..take your dried chilis...put the in a blender. Add some water and blend till you have a paste. You can freeze what you don't need. What I like about doing this is I can put some of the chili paste on the table and you can add more if you want more bite!

Now I know what to do with the chilis I bought last week! Great recipe. It's bookmarked, Thanks Saiko! I think I'll use a whole chuck and some pork loin cut into cubes as a variation.

Was just reviewing my post and realized I forgot to mention adding the tomato paste (I hate it when I read a recipe and they don't include adding an ingredient in the ingredients list). Add the paste when you throw everything else into the pot after browning the meat, including the water, spice blend, canned green chilis, etc. Sorry about that.

No problems here, I tend to spend the first day after a blog post going back and fixing my spelling errors. BTW, I like those Little Oskars for large amount of spice grinding, but, not enough to buy another one.

That looks great! I also prefer the use of freshly ground chiles as opposed to powder. Have you tried making it with cubed beef chuck?

What Vinny said:wink:

With regard to grinding the spices, I totally agree. If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right.

Was just reviewing my post and realized I forgot to mention adding the tomato paste (I hate it when I read a recipe and they don't include adding an ingredient in the ingredients list). Add the paste when you throw everything else into the pot after browning the meat, including the water, spice blend, canned green chilis, etc. Sorry about that.

Thanks Saiko had everything in there and was staring at 2 canes of paste wondering where they go. Thougt I had missed something.

Entering this into a contest tomorrow and think chili is better on day two. I will add the bacon on reheat tomorrow along with the beans.

Thanks for the recipe Saiko!

I had a chili cook off at work and planned on making this one but I couldn't find the fresh ingredients in your list. So I made a Saiko inspired chili and damn was it good. It didn't win at work but I think that is because most of the voters were women and they voted for the two white chicken chili's.

I thank the De Arbol is the key ingredient!

Recipe looks great. Gonna have to get one of those grinders & try doin' my own spices.

I gave your Brunswick stew a try and was very delighted. Thanks for posting that by the way. I will definitely try this out. Looks incredible.

Saiko, I'm thinking a roadtrip to Georgia one day for some of your cooking! Everything you post looks delicious.

Wow, twins!
Using pretty much the same method and close recipe!
I can't get the chili el arbol so use Asian chilies but otherwise...:clap2:

Back