Decisions...decisions...

Decisions...Decisions...Help me out here Brothers!

• Low-n-Slow...WSM

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Low-n-Slow...BGE

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Low-n-Slow...UDS

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Hot-n-Fast...WSM

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Hot-n-Fast...BGE

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Hot-n-Fast...UDS

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Don't give a rat's patootie...

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Ok...here's the deal. My briskets usually suck...(just ask my wife)..so...I'm asking your advice on how to do a 4.8 lb choice flat.

I'm going to inject it with "Butcher Block" to honor my agreement with Plowboy. :biggrin: As far as rub is concerned...I'm torn between Salt and Pepper(Funk's advice), Bovine Bold (Plowboy), or Dr. BBQ's Bigtime Brisket Rub? (leaning toward Dr. BBQ's)

Along with my rub choice dilema...is how to cook the flat...and in what smoker? Low-n-slow...or hot and fast? WSM, BGE, or UDS? I'd really need to hit this one out of the ballpark because...well...because I pretty much suck at briskets. (leaning toward hot, fast, and foil in the BGE)

I've been reading a lot of posts and books recently on how to do briskets and have come to one conclusion...every single person has his or her own way of doing them. I'm just trying to find mine. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a combination of "all the above".

Thanks for listening...I am now placing my Sunday brisket in to your capable hands. Oh...one last thing...

Thanks! :p

I like Todds Bovine bold but all so like the traditional salt,pepper and garlic and it's got to be slow and anyone of those cookers will work. Just my two cents.

I have a lot to learn when it comes to brisket. Last weekend I Qed a cheap Cash n Carry brisket with a version of Kickasses rub and it turned out OK, nothing against the rub just Im not that good of a cook. It was cooked at 300-325* the whole time and was good and tender when it finished. I dont do many briskets because Im cheap and pork is too. We were happy with the results but I know I can do it better. A couple days after I cooked it I seen funks brisket post and learned a whole bunch and the next time I cook a brisket I'll use some of his tips. I think the rub he uses is part of the key to getting it right especialy if you like the flavor of beef.

LOL!:lol: There is 1 vote for every option! That's definitive!:lol:

I am a big proponent of trying it every way.:wink: If it were mine though, and using the ingredients you listed, I may go for a blend. Give it a fairly good sprinklking of kosher salt, then sprinkle on a good layer of either Bovine Bold of Dr. BBQ rub, then hit it with a good layer of a blend of black pepper/canadian steak seasoning.

Noticed when i voted it was 60 % hot and fast no matter which cooker. Not what i would have thought. Voting for the S & P to keep your variables down. Looking forward to your results.

Paul

I tried a high temp on whe nre webber 22.5. i really liked it!

Attachments

• rubbed a.jpg
    rubbed a.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 167
  • brisket on wsm high.jpg
    brisket on wsm high.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 167
  • high temp slice 1.jpg
    high temp slice 1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 164
  • sliced b.jpg
    sliced b.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 164
i voted L&S UDS
I would not inject, I would try this out of the George Clinton thread
"So on your next brisket... stop using store bought rubs for a minute and try some Clinton, Larry Graham and maybe one other ingredient. "

This is what I will try on my next briskie. Not sure about a third ingredient yet. Will see if I can find out what Don Cornelius Seed is before deciding.

JD the voting a real help to you I see. LOL I did about a 5 lber awhile back on the UDS going low and slow. Was tasty but got a little too dry. Did another about 6 lbs hot and fast and was much better. Didn't foil either one but I will the next time to see if the results are any different. Good luck brother...it will be real good I bet!

WSM, about 325 lid temp. Foil with 1/2 cup of liquid shortly after it hits the plateau. Start checking for "doneness" about an hour and a half later. Mine normally go about 2 hours in the foil.

Soft bark, great taste and tenderness.

JimT

Pick your favorite rub... throw it on the egg, set your temps and wait till it hits 200 degrees. Pull it, rest it in a cooler, enjoy.
Looking forward to the pics.

Back