• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Whole hog on the GMG Big Pig

SS454

Reaction score
After all the flack my pictures of the 2 spatchcocked birds on the huge green mountain big pig cooker recieved, here are some proper pictures of the new cooker doing what it does best.

Before and after of the pig. 157# as it went on the smoker. Injected with a 2:1 ratio of apple juice and my eastern north carolina vinegar bbq sauce. Nearly a gallon of injection was used. Rubbed with three little pigs all purpose.

The owner of the hot rod shop we were cooking for had estimated 150-200 people. Well, we ended up serving over 400!:doh: Beans, chips, buns, and water ran out around 300. Sent someone to pick up more chips, buns and water. We ended up with about 3/4 of a half pan left of pork. Surprisingly we thought the hams turned out best (they got about a whole quart of injection each!!:becky:).

20110727220517.jpg

20110728121147.jpg

I took some pictures after we flipped the pig and for some reason they did not register on my phone:mad2:. I was to busy pulling and chopping pork to get any after that.

Love me some whole hog... :) What kind of cooker is that? Looks insulated.

Love me some whole hog... :) What kind of cooker is that? Looks insulated.

It is a green mountain grills whole hog pellet pooper. It is extremely well insulated, so much so that I've realized how horribly insulated my custom made stick burner made out of a 1/4" thick boiler tank from an ethanol plant was.

That(the cooker and the hog),my friend, is a work of ART!!! :clap2:

Nice looking rig! I bet the chickens DID look small on that baby. lol

Pig looks great. any more pics? :thumb:

Super tasty looking pig you got there! :clap:

Were you happy with the smoke flavor from your pellet pooper?

We cooked it at 235 for 12 hours and down to 200 for 2 hours, shut off and rested for an hour. Pulled the hams first then worked towards the front. One shoulder was incredibly stubborn and stalled at 168 for alot longer than the other shoulder and the hams. Nothing got dry, but the bellys and loins got a bit overcooked. Only used about one bag of pellets.

I am a little dissapointed, I had taken a couple pictures after we flipped it over but for some reason they didn't get saved on my phone. When we were pulling I was gloved up and didnt have a spare second to take any more pics.

The smoke flavor wasn't as pronounced as the stick burner but very nice. We rubbed the skin with EVOO to get the color.

My old man is cooking a half hog today for a friends wifes 50th, not sure he will take pics or not.

The rod shop is planning on having us cook again for them next year for the lead sled spectacular. Maybe thay will be nice and finish the old man's 57 now!
thumper 1.jpg

?

I've cooked three pigs on my GMG pig trailer. Question, why did you cook it this way? I have always cooked my on its back.

troy

Figured it would get better color on the skin. This was the first I personally have cooked, my dad cooked a couple halves on the Tucker Cookers and he did it that way. My other buddy that was helping out has cooked about a dozen hogs in a caja china but never on the smoker. It wasn't a big deal to flip it after 8 hours.

The best answer I guess was for show...:confused:

It held moisture well and the bark was perfectly red, the skin very crispy.

Does your big pig have one common hopper or one for each auger? We were told that ours was a preproduction unit and has individual hoppers and the burners were set slightly further apart.

Worth the money though, already getting requests for whole hog cooks!

Back