Rib meat/Flap meat?

keale

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
My last set of ribs had a lot of flap meat, (is this the right name?)2 racks and I had close to three pounds. Its not the rib tips, just hunks of meat...I smoked a piece for 2 hours or so, and ate it like a pork chop...

Question: What else can you do with this, and how do you cook it?
Like regular pork?

Make it in to sausage, or grind it and make it in to 50/50 meatloaf: cow/pig. Smoke the meatloaf.

If you are talking about the "flap" on the back side of the rack connected to the rib tip portion of the rack, we call that the "skirt". I always cook it up and it becomes an appetizer for the cook and others if there is enough.

The Skirt is the cooks reward for doin' all the work. :icon_blush: Same as the brisket meat. If you want to have good eatin' buy ribs, cut 'em down to St. Louis style, and emjoy!

Cut it off, smoke along with the ribs for 2 hours. Then into an aluminum foil pan with a 50/50 mix of your sauce and apple juice. Cover with foil and put back in the cooker for 2 hours. M-M-M-M

Cooks treat for sure. I like them well done so I usually take it off after 3 hours when I am going to foil my ribs. If I am doing a bunch of ribs and don't eat it all I freeze them and use them in a pot of beans.

Another reason I like to buy an untrimmed slab and break it down myself..the skirt makes gooood cook snacks for sure. 3 hours on it is my cook time too. The strip (rib tips) are actually my favorite, I cook them alongside the rack, always make them dry. And I can serve the rack to guests. (this way if they want them foiled, glazed or sauced I can do it)

af398963.jpg

My last set of ribs had a lot of flap meat, (is this the right name?)2 racks and I had close to three pounds. Its not the rib tips, just hunks of meat...I smoked a piece for 2 hours or so, and ate it like a pork chop...

Question: What else can you do with this, and how do you cook it?
Like regular pork?
I cook up the small flap to eat as a snack while waiting for the ribs ..the rest I cooked up whole along with the ribs then cut them into tips

Thanks guys for the info...I saved them rubbed and put in freezer, this might make a good weeknight dinner!
Wayne awesome picture, I also like the one you did with the cut up chicken...

As I have said before, I put them in the back of the smoker with the ribs, forget them for 6 hours, and then throw them away because they get tough and overcooked. I can not recommend this technique.

Back