2007 Contests: A Retrospective

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So for many of us, contest season is winding down if not completely over. For others like the FLFO's, its just starting. What contests did you enjoy this year enough to keep? Which one's will you drop off your future list?

Here's mine.

1. Polar Swine - I'll go if only just to party.
  2. North Kansas City - I think we'll pass unless Scott D has another free entry for us.
  3. Marshall, MO - I wish someone would pick this contest back up again.
  4. Sugar Creek, MO - Loved it. Got my entry in for 2008 already.
  5. Platte City, MO - Will be back.
  6. Nationwide RV - This non-sanctioned contest is just not cooker friendly enough. Although, they are great people. They know RV's not competition BBQ.
  7. GAB - Invitational! We'll be there. Actually, we'd do just the open again. It was fun.
  8. BarBQlossal, Des Moines, IA - We'll be there every year they have it.
  9. Alma, MO - I think this was our last year for Alma. Just too small.
  10. Warrensburg, MO - We'll be there every year! Gotta represent our sponsor: Alewel's Country Meats.
  11. Burlington, KS - Nice contest. Long drive. Would go back, but only if it fits our schedule.
  12. Boone County Fair - Columbia, MO - Fun contest. Would most likely go back next year.
  13. Laurie, MO - I think we'll go back to Laurie. Enjoyed our first time there.
  14. Blue Springs, MO - Hometown. Nuff said.
  15. Kearney, MO - GC's gotta defend.
  16. Pleasant Valley, MO - We'll be there.
  17. Hermann, MO - The people were great. I didn't care much for the contest at all. Won't go back.
  18. Royal - Invitational! We'll be there.

1) Springfield MO, Rock n' Ribs. Love it, won something every year there. Getting expensive. Undecided.
2) Malden MO, Great people. probable.
3) Laurie MO, No dice. Hated it.
4) Pacific MO, Great people, but god it's hot. With an RV we'll go.
5) Hermann MO, Lots of fun. Really dissapointed results wise both years. Who knows.

Need to find a couple more, as we are going to be a bit more selective regarding caterings we take. This year we sorta whored ourselves out to all takers in order to repay ourselves for the new pit and trailer. There is a business plan revision in the works.

My keepers were:

1). Shannon-Nothing compares.
2). Lake Placid, NY-Cooking in the Olympic Oval.
3). Westmont, IL-Can't beat a home contest.
4). Harpoon, VT-Awesome beer, crowds, very scenic.
5). Qlossal-Pork and more Pork.
6). Dubuque, IA-Might have been the best contest we went to this year.
7). Menomonee Falls, WI-Had a good time
8). American Royal-Great seeing folks from allover converging.
9). Houston Rodeo & BBQ-Fun fun fun....
10). Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational-No need to say more... Just a perfect contest.

Hope I didn't forget any. There were a few more, but wanted to limit it to only 10 contests...

Only did 4 this year but here goes

Oklahoma Joes @ KS Speedway- I enjoy it but don't know it they are doing it next year. I will do it if they have it again.

Cameron, Mo - Good location on the square will do it next year.

Laurie, Mo - Have done it the last 2 years but it is a little far since we sold our lake house.

Butler, Mo - have walked the last 2 years so we will be back organized better this year than last.

aaaa

as long as your making the Northeast Tour again, don't forget Highland Rib Fest in New Paltz NY week after Harpoon !!! Hop all is well with you and the girls... Eric

1). Shannon-Nothing compares.
2). Lake Placid, NY-Cooking in the Olympic Oval.
3). Westmont, IL-Can't beat a home contest.
4). Harpoon, VT-Awesome beer, crowds, very scenic.
5). Qlossal-Pork and more Pork.
6). Dubuque, IA-Might have been the best contest we went to this year.
7). Menomonee Falls, WI-Had a good time
8). American Royal-Great seeing folks from allover converging.
9). Houston Rodeo & BBQ-Fun fun fun....
10). Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational-No need to say more... Just a perfect contest.

Hope I didn't forget any. There were a few more, but wanted to limit it to only 10 contests...[/quote]

Well this was our first year and we only did 2.

1) Pacific, MO
2) Hermann, MO

We had fun at both. Pacific was definitely hot as heck, but it's so close to home we'll probably go again. We had a great time at Hermann and the weather was perfect. I'm sure we'll be back there.

We're looking to add two or three for next season. We're thinking of the Rock n Ribs in Springfield in April or the Capital City Cookoff in April in Jeff City to open '08.

This thread is a great idea as it will really help us decide which ones to pick.

Todd,
What about Hermann turned you off? Other than the big fat guy you cookd with?

3 hour drive to cook against 50 teams and get a yellow, 1/2 sheet of paper and no cash for getting a top 10 call. Awards were a train wreck. The RV hookups were nice, but it was really spread out. Didn't see half the teams until awards.

If it was a local contest, then I'd probably feel differently.

I did 3 this year.

Fire on Ice - a non KCBS event held ON Frozen Lake Mille Lacs - that was too much fun. Awesome trophies (wish I got one), unique setting, and the fact that you can say you participated in a barbecue contest on a frozen lake in February

Minnesota in May - the biggest one I have done (as far as the number of teams competing). Was organized well - will be back

Watertown Lions, Rails and Trails Festival in Watertown, MN - will be back - great job again.

3 hour drive to cook against 50 teams and get a yellow, 1/2 sheet of paper and no cash for getting a top 10 call. Awards were a train wreck. The RV hookups were nice, but it was really spread out. Didn't see half the teams until awards.

I wasn't there for awards, but you are right, the 1/2 sheet of paper and no money is a slap in the face.

Battle at the Farm, Yardley Pa (my 1st ever comp)
Berks BBQ Bash (fantastic location, lots of tree and you could even fish)
Maryland BBQ Bash , BelAir MD. (the big names came out to play)
NewHolland Summer Fest( ran well great people, lots of Bretheren.
Best group of people I have ever met!!!!!!

iron mountain- was really fun great bands and ok money

elk grove village Ill -had no fun will not go back again

sparta wi- good time really fun bands where ok but the belly dancers where OUTSTANDING

princeton wi-had a great time with the other teams the dj sucked and good money

menononee Falls wi- Way to much fun had a blast but it was a pricey contest.
all in all we had a great year made great friends and learned alot. And Scotty thanks again for the use of your cordless drill you saved my azz.

1. Jefferson City, MO - Nice event with all the big names. But the weather was a turn-off. won't do just because I'm organizing P Hill the week before.
2. Warsaw, MO - I don't like the low payouts but I like Truman Lake area. Will probably start here.
3. Platte City - Hell yeah! GREAT contest! Will be there!
4. GAB - I will likely be there. Not sold on huge contests but this one is fun.
5. Sedalia, MO - I enjoy the spread out, large sites. We don't do well but we'll go.
6. Cameron, MO - Like it but I'll probably pass next year as we;re cutting back to six or seven events.
7. Peculiar, MO - Hell NO! Poorly run event and 40 teams are crammed into a small area!
8. Dillon, CO - Just too far. And vendng at contests sucks. Enjoyed the venue though.
9. Blue Springs, MO - Gotta make up that 0.5718 of a point in 2008!!!!!!!!
10. Atchison, KS - Nice event but too far for me to want to go. I only did it to try to stay on a roll after Blue springs. Backfired!
11. Garden City, MO - Probably not. Just because of the cut back. Plus he's moving it to October.
12. De Soto, KS - most likely will do it.

Looks like:
Warsaw
Platte City
GAB
Sedalia
Blue Springs
DeSoto

Might toss one in during August if funds are there.

By the way, I know this is about ones you did this year, but keep Pleasant Hill on your 2008 radar!!!

GAB - had a great time there. Will be back for the invitational and open.

Warrensburg, MO - nice contest just always farking HOT!!! Will probably be there.

Harrisonville, MO - had a great time even if it wasn't a State Champ. I want to improve to GC from RGC and get my .0002 improvement.

Blue Springs, MO - good contest but won't go back

Garden City, MO - we took Grand, needless to say have to defend.

We are looking at doing 7-8 comps next year.

Pleasant Hill, MO
Platte City, MO
GAB - invitational
Sedalia, MO
Warransburg, MO
Harrisonville, MO
Garden City, MO
Am. Royal - invitational

I had 6 contests scheduled this year (Dover is this weekend to cap it off). All were fun, well run contests and I plan to do them all again next year.

Pork in the Park - Salisbury, MD (April)
BBQ on the Farm - Yardley, PA (May)
Harpoon - Windsor, VT (July)
Hudson Valley Ribfest - New Paltz, NY (Aug)
New Holland Summerfest - Hew Holland, PA (Aug)
Diamond State BBQ - Dover, DE (Oct)

My brother in law was only able to cook one contest with me this year due to a new baby arrival. But the good news is, I've got some great friends here who really helped out and filled in and made them memorable experiences. SIDE & Sled were with me @ Salisbury, Phil and Jorge & Phil's son James were with me @ Harpoon and Sled and his son Steven were with me at New Holland.

Next year , I'd consider 1-2 more if schedule and finances allow or just hook up with the locals to get a group thing going for a contest with no pressure and spreading out the responsibilities.

Last edited:
Salisbury (with purple turtles) Brrrrrrrrrrrrr (13th in the special chicken category)
Bluesaque-Good contest will repeat (13th chicken)
Williepalooza -Best contest 2007
New Holland-(with Vinny) dropped the chicken

We've only done 2 thus far,, with Dover coming up, so I'd say

Smoke on the Alleghany (franklin,pa), not sure if I'll repeat that one, was very confusing, but in their credit it was the first one for them,

New Holland summerfest, definately will be there next year, couldn't ask for a nicer group of people and the park was pretty nice setup as well.

Dover, I love nascar, that's enough alone for me to return each year, but the staff there will do whatever it takes to make sure everyone has whatever they need.

we did judge at the Berk's bbq bash, would like to compete at that one next year if they have it. Would also love to do Yardley, bbq on the farm if it doesn't interfer with the Relay for life event here at home.

1st year for us, 5 comps
OK Joes @ Kansas Speedway - big names, nicely run, in parking lot during May is good - probably pass and do the GAB instead
Raytown - great price, 65 teams, probably go again
Ducks Unlimited, Ankeny IA - nothing like being on blacktop in July! If it's my choice, we'll do Warrensburg but being as Ankeny is my brother's hometown - I'm guessing we'll be back there again
BrewBQ, Independence IA - nice location, team potluck on Friday, brew tasting after judging - depends on how the schedule works out
American Royal - draining, but we'll be back

2008 thoughts:
April - Big Creek
May - Platte City or GAB
June - Raytown or State Center IA or Marshalltown IA
July - Ankeny or Warrensburg (or maybe both if they're not the same weekend)
August - Lynch BBQ, Waucoma IA - grandma lives there,maybe Chillicothe
September - BrewBQ or Blue Springs
October - Royal

1. North Kansas City - I don't like it...unorganized, too big, not enough money to justify the trouble. But 4 months on no contests will get the best of me and I'm sure we'll be there.
2. Lawrence Sertoma - It was OK...undecided
3. GAB Invitational/Open - Had a lot of fun...only did it because we made the Invitational, but we did well in the Open so we may be back
4. Lenexa - came expecting the worst, but actually had fun and finished well. We'll probably be back since we won't have to wait in the line to register
5. Peculiar, MO - Probably not...40 teams in an area that should hold 20...and awards only up to 5th.
6. Excelsior Springs - The in-laws pay this entry fee for us and we usually have fun. I like the setting of the contest in the downtown area too.
7. Fairbury, NE - Good little contest in a nice setting run by good people.
8. Mission, KS - Our home town and a really good contest site too.
9. American Royal Invitational/Open - If we don't make the invitational, we'll have to really think about this one.

We are thinking about the Pleasant Hill contest for April of next year as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back