My UDS Build, and questions

RClark115

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Working on burning out my 55 gallon drum, for my UDS. As you can see I have removed a lot of the outer paint. I don't think I'm out of the woods yet with the red liner though. I have burned two pallets in it so far, and this is where I am. I can keep putting pallets, but right now I have a pile of smoldering wood in the bottom, covering the intakes. I'm not sure that puting more pallets in is going to get me any further at this point. Should I let the wood burn through and dump it out to go again? Or just keep adding wood and end up with a half barrel of smoldering wood?
tjsJWdU.jpg

FhevwTZ.jpg

Gh3EYqQ.jpg

I would keep putting more in, those inlets on the bottom don't do much for this style of fire. It gets its air from the top. Think of all the people that burn trash in drums, they have no intakes on the bottom. Plenty of people burn first, then put on intakes. Just be mindful of hot ash coming out of those intakes now, cap them off if you have any.

I burnt my red liner out with a HOT. 4 hr fire. Then still had to wire wheel it( liner was Blistered/ flaking off but not gone)

I got a flapper style wheel for my angle grinder at lowes that worked good for me.

it appears during the burn I warped my lid. While it is frustrating, guess I will have to see if the weber fits

So then do u just take a wire wheel to the lid usually?
I'd say just a weed burner and wire wheel. I have a metal recyler by me i can get 50 lids a week if i wanted...look around for one. Call up the recyclers and ask them if they have 50 gallon drums coming through to get a replacement.

live & learn buy an unlined drum you'd be burnin meat right now

I would keep putting more in, those inlets on the bottom don't do much for this style of fire. It gets its air from the top. Think of all the people that burn trash in drums, they have no intakes on the bottom. Plenty of people burn first, then put on intakes. Just be mindful of hot ash coming out of those intakes now, cap them off if you have any.

Really! Please explain the draft process that does not benefit from air and heat rising.

Mine had glue in the drums. I hope a match will get rid of the glue. No idea what the liner may be, if any.

I saw pics with drums upside down and with a part of another drum clamped to a drum. Any real benefits?

If you have a fire pit build a fire in there and set your drum in it when it's good and hot. That's how I dealt with my last liner situation, in addition to a burnout. Worked great and got the bottom rippin hot no prob which is usually the hardest part to get clean. Oh, and do it at night so you can see it glowing- no paint/liner will survive.

Well... It's been a long day... Fighting this liner. Got it as good as I could. Got it seasoning now, all valves and nipples wide open she got to 260.... Hopefully I have done everything right. Here goes
v8kqBqp.jpg

Gyfidgf.jpg

mDv63oC.jpg

Nice and clean. All valves open and only 260?

Back