Is competition bbq better

bam

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Is the bbq you make at a contest better than you make for a party ?

I don't know that its better but its certainly different. For competition I'm rubbing, saucing, and injecting knowing most judges will only take one or two bites. I have also noticed that what I like is not always what the judges like...at home I make it the way I like it, at comps the way the judges like it (well, at least sometimes:))

I guess depending on the person, I would have to say my backyard flavor profile is different than at comps. I love my backyard bbq and love my comp bbq. That is a tough question, but I would say they are equally delicious.

I make it the same way. Why not get some practice in is how I look at it.

Mike

It is different for me. I like things a little spicer than what I turn in.

Plus I am not sitting around watching the cooker and taking care of every little step at home. I am generally doing something else at home.

Depends on the meat for us. I love our comp. pork and brisket, but comp. chicken and ribs are too sweet. I like more of the dry rubs with maybe a touch of sauce.

I would say different! I cook the way I like at home but if its going to a customer I have a standard way every time so they know what to expect. Same rub let the customer pick sauce they like. Comp is way different........

I sometimes cut out a few of the ingredients at home to cut costs or save supplies for pork, I don't like thighs so at home I do beer can chicken. I do not cook our comp brisket and ribs, so I think it's a logical assumption to say that would be different tooooooooooo.

I love and am very happy our comp pork recipe and proceedure, but I also love to try a few different things to it from time to time. If I intend on using an entire butt for something mexican, I will use a different basting sauce.

Depends on who it is for and how many people. I did the whole competition shibang on 24 butts Saturday probably won't do that again. Maybe if it were less.

For the few times we have competed I would say I prefer our Party recipes but as one of my much appreciated coaches made me understand at the first comp we were at your cookin for the judges.He came by and says isnt it bout time to foil those ribs I says no I dont care for them that way and he says you judging today?So we foiled em.He was correct.

I agree with HogBack. Depends on who it is for and how many. I think if you have done a few competitions the food you feed others will be much better BBQ than they have had anyway, so not always a need to fully impress.

I skip a few steps generally and I usually use a different sauce as I like a wide variety of sauces. But overall I like to keep it close to competition just in case I get an Ah Ha moment.

At a comp I overhead a cook saying that he doesn't cook his food like this $hit when he is cooking at home.

comp stuff is to sweet , Backyard a little different

Believe me, if I knew what the judges were lookng for, other than good BBQ, I would cook for the judge. Since I have no idea what one judge to another is looking for I try and cook generic BBQ. A rub and sauce that I hope complement meat that is cooked correctly.

If I know that the majority of judges are either off the street or brand new, I will coat everything in KC Masterpiece!

It is different for me. I like things a little spicer than what I turn in.

Plus I am not sitting around watching the cooker and taking care of every little step at home. I am generally doing something else at home.

Hit the nail on the head for me.

At comps I cook for the judges at home or at the restaurant I cook for me or the customer.

Back