Backwoods Party Brisket Run (On Going Updates)

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
So after a pretty successful initial run on the Backwoods Party on Monday cooking butts and ribs I'm giving brisket a whirl today.

After my first cook with some help of the brethren I learned a lot about Backwoods smokers. Here are the 3 most important rules I learned so far.

Backwoods Rules to Never Forget
1) Keep it away from bright light.
2) Don't get any water on it.
3) Never, never ever feed it after midnight.
................wait this might be from something else :becky:

Back to reality. Since they seem to cook faster I'm starting my brisket at 11am. It is 10.5lbs so I'm guessing 8hrs +/- some. Hopefully all goes well. Very interested to see how this cooker makes brisket. Stay tuned for more during the day.

Fired it up at 9:30am with some weber cubes in the back. I got tips on a few ways to light it and this worked last time so keeping it the same.
IMG960.jpg

Got the best looking brisket Sams had with the thickest flat. Was 10.5lbs and oddly came with this handy dandy knife sticking out of it :crazy:
IMG957.jpg

Trimmed a little and the injected. Did this at 9am. I'll rub it right before it goes on which is my normal protocol.
IMG958.jpg

Brisket fit in pretty well. Definitely took up the whole rack, but I don't feel like i had to smush it in there. Went on at 11am. So off it goes. Temp was up to 260 and it dropped after putting it in and will work it back up to 250ish.
IMG962.jpg

This was after 90min and the temp was already at 153. Double checked it in a few spots with my handheld digital probe. Right now it is almost 1:30 and has hit 160 so going to foil. Damn this thing cooks fast.
IMG963.jpg

Yeah, I'll be watching this one today. Thanks for the posts.

Foiled with some beef broth at 160 which took 2.5hrs. Moving quickly. Guessing it could be done by 5pm, but we will see. Maybe it will actually stall :razz:

IMG965.jpg

After being foiled for 2.5hrs it is at 189. Did a quick probe test for fun, but not ready yet. 5hrs total to here.

Jason, is the water pan dry or did you fill it? I've very interested in your test runs as I have an expanded Party on order. I'm still about 5 weeks out.

Jason, is the water pan dry or did you fill it? I've very interested in your test runs as I have an expanded Party on order. I'm still about 5 weeks out.

I filled it with water. Definitely wanted to get the moisture in there.

So at 5pm it was at 195 and probed smooth, but not all the way in. So waited 30mins and at 5:30 still not quite there (196 temp after 30more mins). So gonna hit it again at 6pm.

So took it off just a little after 6pm. The temperature actually dropped 1 degree to 195, but the probe went in as smooth as I have ever felt it. I'll admit I felt a little resistance closer to the middle, but it came off anyways.

Opened it up for a pic and to collect the juices. Then closed back up until we eat in an hour or so.
IMG967.jpg

Here is the charcoal after 7hrs. Still a bunch in there. I'm going to let it run for a while longer to see how much more it burns.
IMG966.jpg

So here are the end result pictures. My final verdict this time around is...........wait for it.........slightly better than normal!!! I'm pretty dang happy with the final result. Tenderness in the flat is always my problem and this one was better than most. Still could be better, but that is what practice is for :razz:.

Looking forward to my next cook.

So for smoke ring there was a light ring. But smoke flavor was there. I was lazy and didn't get my slicing knife out and you can see the hack job I did on this piece. Love the slice marks :becky:.
IMG_0018.jpg

Decent bend, though I think this piece looks a little thin :icon_blush:
IMG_0020.jpg

Here is the point I chopped up an took some of the beef broth and mixed a little sauce and put that on there. I always like the point much better than the flat.
IMG_0017.jpg

More meat pics
IMG_0023.jpg

And the full dinner.
IMG_0021.jpg

Back