BGE+Turbo Grate+Flank Steak=Pron

Mister Bob

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
The Turbo Grate helps the BGE circulate the air around the lump and makes it easy to cruise at high temps. This cook was done at 680 degrees.

IMG_2026.jpg

Marinated the flank steak in Stubbs

IMG_2035.jpg

Cruisin' at 680

IMG_2037.jpg

Onto the Egg she goes

IMG_2039.jpg

Resting

IMG_2043.jpg

Nice and juicy

IMG_2049.jpg

Add some mushrooms, onions and spinach...Pron!

Ok I guess I am not famaliar with the turbo grate.

I just did some steaks seared at over 650 and the grill got to that temp in less than 15 mins, no mods or Turbulators or fans. I did stack the lump a bit, big size first, and didn't just "dump" it in. That seems to be the biggest error in not getting high temps.

HPIM2176.jpg

HPIM2178.jpg

HPIM2184.jpg

HPIM2183.jpg

I just did some steaks seared at over 650 and the grill got to that temp in less than 15 mins, no mods or Turbulators or fans. I did stack the lump a bit, big size first, and didn't just "dump" it in. That seems to be the biggest error in not getting high temps.

HPIM2176.jpg

HPIM2178.jpg

HPIM2184.jpg

HPIM2183.jpg

I'm interested in buying a BGE. I have read getting the temperature so high is very bad for the felt. Don't you have to replace it very quick?

There are other replacement gaskets that withstand the higher heat better. I've only had the BGE for a short time and the felt is somewhat affected, but still seals everything just fine. Some posting state the gasket isn't even required if the lid and base are even and airtight. There are some gasket materials that withstand over 1000 degree temps that can be used, so it's not really an issue.

Once the felt is (seasoned?) high temps are no problem

Paul

My gasket is about spent after about 18 months but imo it was from juices and stuff dripping on it. The back is still pretty good. I just bought the replacement for 13 bucks. My bottom grate is cracked and needs to be replaced too but I think I will find something else. That grate is the low point of the grill imo. It doesn't fit real well so when you stir the wood it sometimes allows wood to fall through to the bottom.

I let BGE know of my gasket not doing so well after such a short period of time and today they got back to me and are sending a new, high temp, silicone replacement. Can't beat service like that nowadays! Now I need a medium for the smaller cooks!

Back