Beer Keg Grill

B

Bevo

Hey guys, I was thinking about makeing a grill out of a keg I have here at the house..I know some metals are not food safe and i am not really sure what kegs are made from..Can anyone give some input? Thanks

Most kegs these day are stainless.

Most are aluminum -- should work fine since it is, of course, food grade!!

I may be wrong -- but the last few I messed with were aluminum.

chad said:
Most are aluminum -- should work fine since it is, of course, food grade!!

I may be wrong -- but the last few I messed with were aluminum.

The last several i got were stainless....I can't tell you why I have several though.:biggrin:

The Sam Adams/Boulavard Brewing/(insert other micro brew here) tend to come in the skinny tall pony kegs that are stainless. All the 16Gal Kegs in as long as I can remember, are all aluminum. They make fine cookers. We have some friends that took an old Blodgett Pizza oven, and used a keg for the firebox. (removed all the pizza stones and replaced with racks.) and won the first Oklahoma Joe's at the speedway using it. Go for it!

The budwieser folks use stainless kegs....I use them for....brewing purposes as well....I had an aluminium keg, could not braze a copper coupling to it. here's your hint....reflux colume, internal water cooled condenser, 96% pure alcohol from the top.

Most are stainless, I believe. Grab a magnet and check. Should be fine for grilling in terms of food safe, I use them all the time:

DSC02274.jpg

DSC02271.jpg

:wink:

fark... is that full mash setup u got going?? . I miss homebrewing, but theres just aint no more time in the day. I still have 10 gallons in fermentation in the basement. I keep refilling the airlock with vodka. I think its gonna be 50year old scotch by the time i bottle it. ;)

sorry.. hijacked...

Nearly all brewing vessels are made of high grade 504 stainless steel. Even cornelius kegs(used for soda, not beer, and made for cold applications)are stainless. I dont think i ever ran into a aluminum keg, I pretty sure even coldkegs, the kind we get from the beer distributor are stainless steel. Especially since, during the brewing process, aluminum will react with the wort and is not recommended for use in beer. The ones in firebrewers photos above are definatley 504 stainless. those are the same ones I used too.

i think.. lucky guess maybe. ;)

Dude, thats a $25.00 deposit per each barrel out the door!

Fires got some sort of porter and an IPA goin there. NICE!

Oh wait! Can I bring you my empty barrel to be filled? Maybe some Hefe??

BBQchef33 said:
fark... is that full mash setup u got going??

Yessir. See avatar. :mrgreen:

I think its gonna be 50year old scotch by the time i bottle it. ;)

Sounds good to me!

Single Fin Smoker said:
Oh wait! Can I bring you my empty barrel to be filled? Maybe some Hefe??

Sure thing. Long haul for you though. :wink: I know some good brewers out your way.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. :icon_blush:

Bevo, removing the Sanke valve, ring, dip tube, etc. will probably be the greatest challenge, although it's not difficult. Definitely relieve the pressure inside and remove it before cutting though. If you use something like a plasma cutter, fill the keg with water; otherwise you may get some slag inside the keg.

Apologies for dragging up a 8-month old thread.

I'm starting a double keg offset smoker.

I cut the smoking chamber keg with a plasma. It smoked the inside, but no slag stuck. The smoke wiped right out.

I have some 1/16" 316 SS arc rod and also some TIG filler, so will weld it together one way or the other.

Back