Bigazz Ham

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
20131208_Ham.jpg

This thing is looking fantastic. It's been on for 2:10 at 325-350° and the internal temp is up to 82 degrees from the 37 degree starting point. I'll put some of my glaze on it when we get to about 115° and then again at 135° and I'll pull this big one off the grill when it hits 145° and tent it with foil and let it rest for 30-45 minutes. I'm not sure how long it's going to take to finish it off....

This is a fresh ham that I brined for four days... 22 pounds...

is 4 days brining enough. and did you inject brine for deep muscle curing

is 4 days brining enough. and did you inject brine for deep muscle curing

Since I have never done a fresh ham before, I called Smithfield to find out how to handle it. They pointed me to a brine recipe and told me to do it for 96 hours. I did not inject any brine or use any curing salts. They told me 96 hours would be plenty of time for a complete brine.

Nice job man, I am interested to see how it comes out. Recently somebody, and I don't remember who, said that when they did a fresh ham it didn't get quite enough cure near the bone. Regardless, that thing looks beautiful.

Since I have never done a fresh ham before, I called Smithfield to find out how to handle it. They pointed me to a brine recipe and told me to do it for 96 hours. I did not inject any brine or use any curing salts. They told me 96 hours would be plenty of time for a complete brine.

Keep us up to date........

That thing is a monster John! Look forward to seeing some sliced pictures as you prepare my plate ;)

Looks real good, how did the brine work?
Was it ham tasting all the way to the bone?

Man that looks good JM!!

Back