Hmmm, I already entered a gorgeous all-natural, pork fatty and got a big fat zero, I will have to work on choking down my bitterness on this one, maybe.

I guess I'll kick this one off.

In the spirit of full disclosure, the prep work for this was done on Thursday evening, but it wasn't cooked until Friday evening at the Arthur, IL competition. I hope the voters will accept this since the actual cooking was done on Friday.

I started out with some home made blueberry pancakes (with fresh blueberries, of course) and a couple of Jimmy Dean Maple breakfast sausage logs.

P1150354.JPG

I put each log into a gallon zipper bag...

P1150355.JPG

The I flattened the sausage into a perfect rectangle...

P1150356.JPG

Then, working on one at a time, I cut the bag and peeled the top layer back to expose the sausage...

P1150357.JPG

and cut the pancakes to fit...

P1150358.JPG

and then used the bag to roll it up....

P1150359.JPG

Then I sealed the seam and the ends...

P1150360.JPG

P1150361.JPG

After both fatties were rolled I wrapped them in the zipper bags and then in foil and put them into the fridge and eventually a cooler of ice for transportation to the competition. On Friday afternoon I fired up the Memphis Pro and set it for 240 degrees and cooked the fatties for about two hour until they were 165 internal. I didn;t get a picture of the fatty actually on the grill. We were turning these in for the Friday night sausage category and I was in a bit of a hurry :-D

Here are the cooked fatties...

P1160363.JPG

P1160364.JPG

Here is one of the logs after slicing into it...

P1160365.JPG

(Please use this picture as the Throwdown entry thread) ^^^^^

and a closeup of a slice...

P1160371.JPG

Last edited:
Since I am the founder of the Society for the Preservation Of Fatty Purity I feel it is necessary to remind you that a fatty does not need to be stuffed or enrobed to be beautiful :becky:

I'm getting some mixed signals here ....

Those blueberry pancake fatties look great, but aren't you afraid they'll kick you out of your society for posting them?

Last I checked the rules, this was supposed to be a party, and for us girls, half the fun of a party is getting ready. I've got a fair bit of routine in my day to day life and cooking is where I get to let my hair down and live a little wild (and live with my kids saying "Do we have to eat that!?!").

I have to admit this is only the second time I've made a fatty and the first time was completely by accident. It was in the Innards Throwdown and I had made pate wrapped in bacon. After I had posted LT78224 wrote that I had made a "pate fatty" -- sdb25 dubbed it a fat-tay.

ecode.jpg

I had so many ideas of what to try, so I decided to try several, and went with Fatties of the World. I was thinking music would go great with this, but all I could come up with was this. It made me laugh, but I could only listen to it for about 2 min. So, for those of you who can stomach it....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6hpC7alqk0&feature=related
It was either this or "We are the World." I think I chose the lesser of two evils.

I can't tell you how many times we went on that ride with the girls. It was late, and there were not too many people in the park, and when we finished the ride, they just let us stay in the car over, and over, and over....

Like I said, half the fun is getting ready for the party. Here are some of the highlights. For the Asian portion of this entry, I marinated some shortribs in a Korean-style marinade.

IMG_0821.jpg

I threw these on my oval to get them ready.

IMG_0826.jpg

I needed these shredded, so they had a couple hours in foil after they were smoked.

IMG_0828.jpg

For the French portion, I made up some ratatouille.

IMG_0838.jpg

Well, this will take forever like this, so here are the fillings:

IMG_0839.jpg

And here they are explained by country:

Germany: Bratwurst (smoked on the oval) and sauerkraut mixed with shredded bacon

Spain
: Saffron rice mixed with diced red peppers and Spanish Chorizo

France
: Ratatouille and baby artichokes

Italy
: Pizza (mozzarella, pepperoni, sausage, and sauce)

Korea
: Marinated Short Ribs with green onions and red peppers

USA
: So many choices, but I decided to go southwestern with a taco filling, green chiles, cheddar cheese, and corn tortilla chips, inside and out.

There are so many I wanted to try, but my family convinced me that 6 was plenty. But I still want to try one with curry and maybe a Hungarian one rubbed with Paprika and stuffed with a pork goulash or a Jambalaya, or a ....

I rolled them up and dressed some of them up. This is the French one with the ratatouille. I thought it would be nice with an eggplant-bacon weave:

IMG_0850.jpg

The only one with a plain bacon weave is the German one because I thought the bacon would go especially well with the sauerkraut and bratwurst. The Italian one I mopped with pizza sauce and decorated with fresh oregano. And that southwestern style USA with the taco filling? I rolled that in cornchips. Here they are still cooking on the Oval:

IMG_0893.jpg

Here you can see the associated fatties:

IMG_0897-1.jpg

Here you can see the tops and the fillings.

IMG_0930.jpg

These are influenced from Italy, Spain and France.

IMG_0923.jpg

and these are influenced from Germany, USA, and Korea

IMG_0922.jpg

I served these up for a late-night snack.

IMG_0940-1.jpg

Thank you for looking.

That is just plain great!:thumb: You know we will all need oxygen now that you raised the bar to 20,000' or so:clap2:.

That is a amazing international assortment. Excellent job!:thumb:

Great way to start it off, Ron.

Last edited:
Ron, that is a gorgeous fatty. I'm ready to dig into one for breakfast!

Erin, I think you missed a few countries, and besides the "almost rans" which you listed, I was secretly looking forward to seeing the kind of fatty that would emerge from Morocco. There is still time though, and maybe before this Throwdown is finished we will see the rest of the world represented?:becky: If you need help convincing Gore how important this research would be, just let me know.:wink: The weave work was most impressive; the diagonal weave looked amazing, and no words can properly put the sheer brilliance of the eggplant-bacon weave into the appropriate context it deserves!:cool: Then there's the cornflakes... Maybe that one is not as original as I think it is...it's the first I have seen it anyway...but despite these reservations, that is also just absolutely brilliant!:cool:

And all this time we thought Gorden was the brilliant one. He's smart and all, but DANG!:shock: I know that I am not worthy.:hail:

I think I need to see my cardiologist after looking @ Ron_L's and Encode's WOW

Both entries look great. I thought I was overachieving when I made two fattys yesterday, and then ECODE shows up with six different ones. Good work.

So much for traditional Ronelle! Nice, or is that suhweet?

And ecode!!! No fair!

does it have to be pork?

Nope. While the traditional ones are pork sausage breakfast ones with the funny wrapper twisted on each end (hence the name), they can be made of most anything resembling sausage (pseudo-sausage). It needs to be contain quite a bit of fat to maintain moisture, but even there, I am not fussy. Part of the beauty of the fatty is that it can be made of most anything and can be stuffed, rubbed or what ever. No long list of rules here. The key is to be long and thin (tubular) and must, repeat must be smoked. I do draw the line to cooking it in a loaf pan, making it a meat loaf or a fatty loaf maybe. A fatty must be rolled and smoked. This is the other non negotiable. Hope this helps.

Back