• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Newbie to the site and I have been quickly sold on the UDS.

I picked up a drum yesterday..... new and unlined...

Drum1.jpg

The baby is already excited for her first pulled pork sandwiches

Drumbaby.jpg

The dog is not happy with the new addition to the backyard

drum2.jpg

Here is my first of probably many UDS questions..... I have called around looking for pieces of expanded metal for my fire box with out much luck....

My question is would a metal dish drainer work. It is about the same size and I would just have to put some metal wire in the corners to fill in the only big gaps....

Any other suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Here is my first of probably many UDS questions..... I have called around looking for pieces of expanded metal for my fire box with out much luck....

My question is would a metal dish drainer work. It is about the same size and I would just have to put some metal wire in the corners to fill in the only big gaps....

Any other suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
I would think that the metal is too small of a diameter in a dish drainer to hold up to the heat of charcoal for very long. Do you know what kind of metal it is made from? Is there a Home Depot near you? Or, perhaps a Machine/Welding Shop?

There is a home depot but all I saw there was smaller chunks for a decent chunk of change.... I have not called out to any metal yards... I will try there tomorrow... I tried a couple metal places with out a lot of luck...They required buying a 4'X8' sheet... I have a couple welders that I go to church with I will check with them

welders and machine shops are your best bet, IMHO.
post the pics when building and finished.

Ok. If I am going to dump my barrel, where the heck do a I find another? I would even be willing to pay a fair price for new and unlined. Suggestions? Anyone in Minnesota (where I am) have any ideas?

I just bought 6 of them from Bob Eickhoff at kck.com $10 each. Just the bent rod and the spring handle (5" stainless). No fancy rolled base like those above.

He also sells Tel Tru thermometers.

Just IMHO, don't get carried away with the handles, they don't get hot so go cheap keeping with the purpose of a UDS. KEEP IT SIMPLE..... Great thread! Just my $.02.

Just IMHO, don't get carried away with the handles, they don't get hot so go cheap keeping with the purpose of a UDS. KEEP IT SIMPLE..... Great thread! Just my $.02.
Personally I wouldn't use these. Fin wanted them so I made them. Simple garage door handles work just fine. But the do scream "Smoker"
IMG_3071.jpg

F'n AAAAAAAAA!!!!!

I feel like I'm in love already.

Personally, I like the recycled ecb handles on my first uds. The financier of our operation decided on those handles.

When this comes to my house(after the Spice Thermometers get to you), I will provide further pics after its Cardinal & Gold paint job.

Well done Sir Norco. You have found you new job......when you retire.

Them wire handles do look pretty good...

Wow, Fin gets a smoker before Brian???

You need to hook that brother up!!

P.S. Project X looks very interesting. :mrgreen:

Back