Smokin 4 racks of spare ribs sunday....need suggestions

Rez90

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing 3 racks 90% the same way i always do.

3-2-1 method. I rub them the night before and make my sauce the day of. My question here is what do you guys put in your foil? i typically do a little apple juice but i'm looking to try something different.

The last rack i want to try a new rub that was given to me. It's a maple bacon rub. I'm thinking of smoking these ribs dry with no foil for the entire time. no sauce. I've never done ribs with no sauce. any suggestions to get these to come out of the smoker tender and juicy without foiling them or saucing them? should i rub them with oil in the beginning or anything else other than the rub?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I use a half cup of BBQ sauce and a half cup of honey when I foil mine.

lay foil down squirt a littlle parkay, a little of your sauce, and a liberal sprinkle of turbinado sugar.place ribs meat side down ans squirt a little more parkay.

In foil I add parkay, brown sugar, and agave nectar. Not using foil be sure to mist them every 1/2 hour or so with apple juice. You could use a mustard slather or peanut oil to help hold your rub on. Good luck.

For the ribs without foil I'd suggest going easy on the rub if it has sugar in it and sprits with bottled water about every 1/2 hour. Yep, water. I'm serious. Just plain water.

As far as wood goes, it depends on what you like. Hickory will impart a stronger flavor than the fruit wood.

If your rub has salt in it, I wouldn't rub them until a 1/2 hour before your cook. The salt + lots of time will pull your moisture out of the meat. I'm a french's mustard then rub kinda guy. And I'll do a 2.5-1.5-1 type of guy with no foil or sauce @250 - always great results. I like them naked, but depending on the crowd, I'll sauce them 15 min before I pull to set the sauce.

For spares here's what I do.
Cooker @ 275
Foil after 2.5 hours, with Parkay, Brown Sugar, Tiger Sauce
Take out of foil after 45-1hr and save the liquid in the foil
Put on a coat of BBQ sauce on the ribs and let set for 15mins
Boil down the liquid from the packets to make a glaze
Glaze ribs and let cook for 10 more mins.

Pull ribs from cooker, eat and enjoy.

Did this last Sunday, had a guy who doesn't eat meat polish off a whole rack of ribs. He admitted afterwards that he tried them to be polite and then continued to eat them. I had no idea.

Tiger sauce is good. Adds a nice little kick. We use it when we compete.:clap2:The post about salt and dry rub is dead on. It will dry out your meat if left on too long, found that out the hard way.:mad:

I use a little butter ( still looking for the squeezable parkay in my area ), a little brown sugar, and some apple juice.

Back