Smoking a Turkey Sunday

When the turkeys are injected I don't bother to brine them and they come out fine. I have been told "that's the best turkey I ever had!" Here's one resting after coming off the smoker.

DSC_6009-PP.JPG

On the grate or in a pan?

My question is? If you smoke the bird whole do you place it straight on the grate or do you cook it in a pan or maybe half and half?

Mine have been directly on the grate, flip around every couple of hours and then cover the breast once it gets some color to reduce drying out.

Well, I'm brining <smile>.

Water, salt, sugar, black pepper, a little maple syrup, and juice from an orange.

I'll pull it from the brine tomorrow and let the skin dry in the fridge till Sunday when I smoke it,

Any suggestions for a rub? Seems many mix herbs with butter and spread under the skin. Should I use oil only on outside of the skin?

My question is? If you smoke the bird whole do you place it straight on the grate or do you cook it in a pan or maybe half and half?
Right on the grate. Like 93vpmod I sometimes put a foil shield on the breast part way through to keep it from overcooking while the legs and thighs finish. But I didn't do that for the bird pictured above. What I should have done was to release the ends of the legs. I'm pretty sure that leaving them bound up like that won't help the dark meat finish faster (and the delayed finish of the dark meat is what can leave the breast dry.) I just wasn't thinking when I put it on.

i love smoking turkeys on enhanced birds i usually just put butter under the skin and rub . sum onion and citrus in the cavity and call it good

One hint for your first time. Place a bag Ziplock bag on the breast or about 30 minutes before you put it on the smoker. This will bring down the temp of the breast lower than the thighs. Your breast and thighs should be done close to the same time and your breast won't dry out.

I tried the bag of ice in a ziploc method a few years ago and will never cook a turkey any other way. It makes a noticeable difference in the white meat. I brine every turkey (whether enhanced or not) in a brine with just a little salt and a cup or so of maple syrup and Jack Daniels. If you try it you will be hooked too. In fact I have one brining in the fridge right now getting ready to be cooked tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip on cooling the breast prior to smoking. I'll sure try that. Do you put the rub on the bird then chill or vice-versa?

I would still like to hear what kind of rub you've had good success with......

Went by Cabelas today and found a turkey rack to hold the turkey upright like beer can chicken is held while cooking. It was $9.99 so I bought it and will use it tomorrow.

IMAG0262_zps7c471511.jpg

First Smoked Turkey Done (Pics)

It's done! First turkey. 325F - 350F for a bit over 2 1/2 hours.

Hope it's as good as it smells!

IMAG0266_zps27f15079.jpg

I have done them both ways and either way they turn out great off the egg.

Attachments

• IMG00024-20101225-1343.jpg
    IMG00024-20101225-1343.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 28
HogFan: interested to hear how your bird tasted. It looks good! Would you do anything different?

It was awesome (thanks to the good advice here!).

I went with the traditional herbs. Used original Ms. Dash seasoning and maybe I put it a bit thick on the outside of the bird. Also, if you look close in the picture you can see a pan under the bird. I used 3 cans of chicken stock in it (with onion, celery, carrots, rosemary, pepper, and juice from one orange) and positioned it under the turkey to catch the drippings. It tasted great but was on the verge of being salty. Next time I'll try 2 cans of low sodium chicken broth (less salt and thicker gravy). I poured all this in a blender and blended and it made a nice gravy. Got the idea right here on the Brethren!

Back