last nights Gyros... PRON!

smokeylips

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Last night I decided to make Gyros on my KK but first I did a hot burn to clean it. Sucker was pegged at 800 degrees:shocked: First i ground the meat. One pound each of lamb and beef. Then I put a med onion in the processor and chopped added the meat and spices and processed into a paste. Put it into a disposable loaf pan and cooked at 350 indirect for 45 minutes. Took it out of the pan and put back on the KK for 30 minutes. Let rest for 1 hr. I sliced it thin and put it into a cast iron skillet to get a little brown on it. Put my pizza stone on and brought her up to 500 and cooked the bread. The meat was almost spot on texture and flavor. I need to work on my bread some. Enjoy:razz:

Attachments

• image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 180
  • image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 182
  • image-3.jpg
    image-3.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 181
  • image-4.jpg
    image-4.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 181
  • image-5.jpg
    image-5.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 180
  • image-6.jpg
    image-6.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 181
  • image-7.jpg
    image-7.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 181
  • image-8-1.jpg
    image-8-1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 182
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 174
Oh man that looks great! I haven't done this in a while, but its one of my all time favorites. Great work.

WOW that looks great. This has been on my to do list for far to long, far to long.

Looks very nice from here,explain what looks like Potato to me please.

Waffle fries or cottage fries. They go by both names were I live. Just a standard potato cut with a special cutter to get that look.

Last edited:
I'd be all over that for sure. :thumb: Don't look now but I you better check you tile, it's like 800*! :razz:

All looks good from here. I love gyros.

Here is the recipe

Gyros meat:
1 med onion, cut into chunks
1 pound ground lamb
1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 heaping teaspoon dried oregano
1 heaping teaspoon ground cumin
1 heaping teaspoon dried marjoram
1 heaping teaspoon ground dried rosemary
1 heaping teaspoon ground dried thyme
1 heaping teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoon kosher salt or more to taste
Place the onion in a food processor, and process until finely chopped. Add ground beef and lamb then the garlic, oregano, cumin, marjoram, rosemary, thyme, black pepper, and salt. Process into a paste. Cover, and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours to allow the flavors to blend.
Grill indirect 350 for 45 minutes the take out of foil pan and cook another 30 minutes. Rest 1 hr.

Tzatziki Sauce:

1 pound (1 pint) plain nonfat greek yogurt
1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled and seeded
2 tsp plus 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
1 tablespoon good olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons grated garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh dill
Pinch freshly ground black pepper

Grate the cucumber and toss it with 2 tsp of kosher salt; place it in another sieve, and set it over another bowl for 30 minutes.
Transfer yogurt to a large bowl. Squeeze as much liquid from the cucumber as you can and add the cucumber to the yogurt. Mix in the sour cream, vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, dill, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper. You can serve it immediately, but I prefer to allow the tzatziki to sit in the refrigerator for a few hours for the flavors to blend. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Enjoy:wink:

Awesome!!
It looks like you nailed the pita as well!!
I too would like to compare your spice blend, if you don't mind?
I have been wanting to make them again too.
Just felt guilty as I still have a pound or so in the freezer from RD.
(sometimes I just get a little lazy and cheat:shocked:.)

Thanks for the motivator, Nice Work!

Looks awesome.

I LOVE both gyros AND tzaziki sauce! :thumb:

Back