1st competition...setup question!!

As far as being a member of KCBS, they will use your membership number to keep track of your scores, so if this is something that you will benefit from, then join.

Thank you guys so much for all the advice!! We are thinking of adding a pit barrel cooker to the line up for chicken and ribs, what would you all think?

Thank you guys so much for all the advice!! We are thinking of adding a pit barrel cooker to the line up for chicken and ribs, what would you all think?

I am a bit partial, but I think it would be a great choice. It would be a relatively inexpensive addition and doesn’t take up a lot of space. I would order it quick so you could get a practice cook or two in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered the pit barrel today with ash pan! I hope it makes a great addition. Do comp ribs HUNG turn out ok? I have never hung anything so just curious!

I ordered the pit barrel today with ash pan! I hope it makes a great addition. Do comp ribs HUNG turn out ok? I have never hung anything so just curious!

We hang our ribs in a Hunsaker drum. I've never tried them in a PBC, but they should be fine. Just remember to wrap them and move them to the grate before they get tender enough to fall into the fire :O :-D

Shake and Bake hangs ribs and they do ok. Practice that method before the contest.

As far as hanging, it certainly can be done. We have played around with it, and I think we're going back to laying them flat. I think it comes down to comfort level and what you like better.

Back