bamboo cutting boards

maxwell7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a cheapie board from walmart. 1/2 inch or so. I wash , stand on edge in lower cabinet. It still is wanting to crack on the long-grain edges. CAN IT be seasoned with canola oil instead of food-grade mineral oil ? Until I can afford a prisier one , It's all I have other than plastic , and I don't much care for plastic.

Last edited:
I would say NO.
Because I've been told oils other than cutting board oil will become rancid over time and that is BAD...

I would say NO.
Because I've been told oils other than cutting board oil will become rancid over time and that is BAD...

Exactly. DO NOT oil with canola, EVOO, etc. it will go rancid. Stick with mineral oil, beeswax and the like. I bought a jar of mineral oil for $3 at my local ACE Hardware.

I'll have to find food-grade min. oil ! Although , I have no idea where to find it.

I'll have to find food-grade min. oil ! Although , I have no idea where to find it.

Exactly. DO NOT oil with canola, EVOO, etc. it will go rancid. Stick with mineral oil, beeswax and the like. I bought a jar of mineral oil for $3 at my local ACE Hardware.

:icon_blush:

Or check Amazon, Sur La Table, Williams Sonoma or any other cooking store. I've even seen mineral oil next to the cutting boards at Wal Mart.

I get mine on amazon

jsut search for "food grade mineral oil" or "butcher block oil" I paid 7 bucks for 12 ounces. Thats should last at least a year. The butcher block oil is a few bucks more.

I find mine in the supermarket with the hand lotions moisturizers, ect. You don't want baby oil, its the same thing but with the fragrance added. Check out any pharmacy they should have it. You can order it online but I would think it would cost more. Read the label is should say food grade.
Dave

I use Howard butcher block conditioner its a mix of bees wax and food grade mineral oil. Its sold at home depot

Mineral Oil can be found at most pharmacies, Walgreens, CVS, Rite-Aid, etc.

Got my "food grade mineral oil" at Bed Bath and Beyond. I got it there over other places mostly because I was already there for something else, happened to see it and went "hey i need some of that" and grabbed a bottle.

Mineral oil USP Lubricant Laxative
Aisle 11,Walgreen's Drug Store.Cheap.
On a related note,my LAST cheap board is splitting.I ordered a Boos 24x18x2 3/4 board from Amazon in my frustration.$90+ with shipping.It will get the same care Martha got,I hope it lasts.....T

Back