Cheap bbq recipes any ideas?

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So here is the deal my wife is kind of annoyed with me using up food in the house to barbecue all the time. I need some really budget friendly ideas not per pound cheap I mean per meal for two people cheap with no left overs I have huge dish of bbq pulled pork left overs. Not to mention I think she is peeved because she has her 297 square foot kitchen to use with cathedral ceiling. I also have confiscated 2 drawers and an entire wall cabinet for barbecue. Yeah so give me the el cheapo recipes that taste good and don't waste to much charcoal some stuff that can be made on a charbroil barrel grill. She hates me using that one even though it's from her parents for Christmas. Burgers are out of the question as I hate burgers and hot dogs as one can be cooked in a pan the other a microwave. Anyone with a good no yeast pizza dough recipe help me out got to be few ingredients. I want to make my wife lunch and surprise her when she is done with work. So chicken breast or leg recipes I have pork and low on flour and I have no yeast and no potatoes but I have pepperoni and canned corn I have cinnamon and paprika and sage and Ginger salt very little and pepper I might have other things so budget friendly and small on left overs as in none. So please help me out. I need to get out of the dog house for the charbroil ruining food that I had no trouble with on my weber kettle grills. I have Omaha steaks and other stuff that was a gift but I was hoping to use that in February for valentines day.

I'm going to be honest here...I'm not seeing any logic in your master plan. You're in the dog house for bbq'n too much and using up all the food, and you think your way out is to bbq more food? Good luck! What about making her a simple breakfast n' bed and simply telling her how much you love and appreciate her. Put the charcoal down...it will be there this weekend. :-D

Hmmm, pulled pork burritos, pulled pork sandwich, pulled pork and fried corn, pulled pork pizza... U get it use the pulled pork. But maybe you should take a break if the wife is angry and u are concerned about extremely cheap ingredients such as yeast and potatos

SIMPLE!!! You need your own space! This way what she dont know, she dont know..
You should set up garage or BBQ trailer or man cave , dedicated fridge and area. She stays out and HER kitchen is always clean!! And take her to dinner, sounds like mine where bbq does not count..

I'm going to be honest here...I'm not seeing any logic in your master plan. You're in the dog house for bbq'n too much and using up all the food, and you think your way out is to bbq more food? Good luck! What about making her a simple breakfast n' bed and simply telling her how much you love and appreciate her. Put the charcoal down...it will be there this weekend. :-D

Yeah lol maybe it's bad idea thought making her dinner might get me out of it I think it's more because it's bad cooks with a bad cooker. Charbroil barrel grills are hard to control the temp so I ruined three pizzas and 7 chicken legs. She never complained until I switched over to the grill her parents got me. I think I might just chill on bbq and go with cleaning the house. Partly why I cook so much now is she has really made cheap food that just is blah I miss her old cooking like steak and her being creative.

First, take a deep breath. It took a good three minutes three minutes to read your initial post because of the long running sentences and seemingly incoherent rumblings lol.

Second, if you want to make bbq cheaper invest in a vacuum seal. With two people, you are bound to have leftovers with any decent sized meal. And the larger the pieces of meats the more forgiving hence less waste and therefore maximizing your budget. Then when you want bbq all you need to do is boil in bag and it's close to coming right off the grill. Unfortunately bbq and cheap don't really go together. I mean sure you can call pulled pork cheap but with most bbq you yield around 50% meat and if you basically double the price of the meat you are buying so you can see how it isn't 'cheap'. So maximizing your efficiency is they best way.

As for making the wife happy, try investing in a couple of Rubbermaid bins and move your bbq stuff to it so she can get her space back.

Yeah lol maybe it's bad idea thought making her dinner might get me out of it I think it's more because it's bad cooks with a bad cooker. Charbroil barrel grills are hard to control the temp so I ruined three pizzas and 7 chicken legs. She never complained until I switched over to the grill her parents got me. I think I might just chill on bbq and go with cleaning the house. Partly why I cook so much now is she has really made cheap food that just is blah I miss her old cooking like steak and her being creative.

Try talking to her. My wife went through a phase like that and the food got worse. because I would be quiet and not eat hardly any and she knew I didn't like she eventually stopped trying. Turns out she was trying new simple faster recipes to balance a crazy work schedule. So we talked about it and instead I picked up some of her house duties so she had more prep time and the food quality has returned! Happy wife, happy life !

You do your thing and let her do hers.
It seems you both like to cook, so share the duties.
Talk to her and tell her how you feel about the "quick blah meals" but be nice about it. Ya know, kinda like "hunny I miss the way you used to........"
Do what you can to give her more time to cook by picking up the other stuff so she has time and it's not quick whip it together meals.

I'm with ya on the BBQ stuff taking over the kitchen. Mine don't care, or so she says, but I try to keep most of the stuff tucked away in a tote somewhere that doesn't "invade" her space.

Best of luck to ya Brother

No lectures, just ideas... Country Style ribs, chicken legs and thighs, flanken style beef short ribs, sausages, small pork butt, pork loin. Also, if your grocery store has a "reduced for quick sale" meat section (most do, and Sam's Club does as well), give it a look the day before or the day of a cook. Beef especially is always available and stays fresh easily until the sell by date.

Get a new wife....

Seriously, though, you might want to buy a freezer and stick it in the garage. Wait for meat to go on sale and stuff that mother!

I am blessed to be able to choose Costco, RD, Smart and Final, and Wally World in addition to the standard grocery stores, so I can always find a deal on meat.

Next, you probably need to make a UDS or a Mini-UDS so you don't waste charcoal.

clean the house. always the way out of the dog house, unless you fark that up too.

You need a man cave or an emancipation or both. Come up with creative ways to use your left overs in different recipes like turn the PP into carnitas for tacos or make Stew with left over Brisket or use left over brisket in a bolognese sauce. Left over chicken can go to enchiladas, chicken & dumplins, Chicken salad.

Self Rise Pizza Dough

2-1/2 cups All purpose flour
2* teaspoons baking powder( omit if using Self rising flour)
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup oil

First prepare the crust. In a medium sized bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt . Stir it up to distribute the salt evenly. Add the water and oil. You may need a spoonful or two more of water if the day is dry. Mix the dough with a wooden spoon until it forms a big ball in the middle of the bowl. It will be a little stiffer than biscuit dough. Knead the dough about 10 or 12 times and then form it into a ball. Place the ball in the center of 16-inch pizza pan, or a 9 by 13-inch rectangular pan. Use your hands and a rolling pin, to press the dough into the pan. I find a rolling pin most effective in this effort. The dough will be a medium thickness.

Bake the prepared pizza at 400° for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Get a couple of roses and take her out to eat to her favorite place. I'm sure that would help in easing back in her good graces. My wife hasn't complained about eating bbq all the time-she does however complain about the space my "things" take up. I basically have two drawers in the kitchen for my knives, gadgets, etc and so far she has been ok with it.
As for left overs, pulled pork tacos are excellent, especialy if you lightly fry corn tortillas, pulled pork pizza, but I'm not too keen on dough with no yeast. Good Luck.

Probably Miss her

My wife told me that if I didn't cut back on my BBQ she was leaving.
I will probably miss her for awhile.:grin:

clean the house. always the way out of the dog house, unless you fark that up too.

Don't clean the house unless she's already given you lessons, you're sure to do it "wrong".

Get a couple of roses and take her out to eat to her favorite place. I'm sure that would help in easing back in her good graces....

Roses, dark chocolate and a night out are a good idea IMHO.

dry beans, black beans for beans and rice, pinto for Mexican, red or navy for BBQ beans, all different, all excellent with leftover pulled pork, cheapest thing at the store

Roadkill is the solution to all your problems.

A few meals of that and I'm sure your BBQ supply allowance will be increased.

Why don't you try cooking something together? Enjoy a glass of wine (or two) while doing it, and chat about things. We do that every once in a while and really enjoy spending time together in the kitchen.

I'm lucky enough to have a finished basement with a nice sized closet where I store most of my BBQ things that seem to take up the most space and a deep freezer for meat I buy on sale. The man cave/garage is all mine, but nicely organized and she keeps out of it, and I stay out of her library/book room. Heck, at one point I had 6 grills/smokers and asked her if I could get one more, and she said... yes! Give her some of her space back and I bet she would be grateful.

If you want to save some money BBQ'ing and are just cooking for 2-4 people at a time; then consider making a Mini WSM. It will save you a considerable amount in fuel each month--doesn't use much (small, airtight & efficient).

Leftover pulled pork can be freezed fine, so it isn't really wasteful at all. Consider buying pork butt by the case @ around $1.39/lb (vs. typical super market price $2--around here at least.) You can split the case with a friend if short on space.

Buy meats that are about to expire at the markets.. every time I'm there I keep an eye out. Then when I get home I either cook it that day or immediately freeze it.

Back