Smoking pork butt

Plaid Palace

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Where does the stall start typically? I'm taking this bad boy to 195 internally before I pull it.

Right now, pit temp is 250 and meat temp is 142.

Typically in the 160s but every piece of meat is different.

I wouldn't blindly take it to 195. Most of the butts that I cook aren't done until 200 or higher. Go by feel. Your probe should slide in easily with little resistance and the bone should wiggle freely.

I also let my butts rest in a cooler for at least two hours before eating. That lets the juices recirculate and gets the flavor throughout the meat.

It seems everyone suggests cooking until until very tender. Then the pork is served as pulled pork. What should one do to get a tender juicy SLICE???

I go by the bone twist test, if you can twist the bone easily and you can tell its going to pull out clean then she is ready. This for me is normally around 203-205*

It seems everyone suggests cooking until until very tender. Then the pork is served as pulled pork. What should one do to get a tender juicy SLICE???
Pull it at 180, Rest it tented for 30 min, Slice away.

Pull it at 180, Rest it tented for 30 min, Slice away.

are you serious ?

ditto this by RonL

"Typically in the 160s but every piece of meat is different.

I wouldn't blindly take it to 195. Most of the butts that I cook aren't done until 200 or higher. Go by feel. Your probe should slide in easily with little resistance and the bone should wiggle freely.

I also let my butts rest in a cooler for at least two hours before eating. That lets the juices recirculate and gets the flavor throughout the meat."

also you don't "slice" pulled pork

are you serious ?

ditto this by RonL

"Typically in the 160s but every piece of meat is different.

I also let my butts rest in a cooler for at least two hours before eating. That lets the juices recirculate and gets the flavor throughout the meat."

also you don't "slice" pulled pork
It's not pulled pork until you pull it. If you slice it, it's sliced pork. I do both. Pork shoulders aren't just for pulling.
Curly

It's not pulled pork until you pull it. If you slice it, it's sliced pork. I do both. Pork shoulders aren't just for pulling.
Curly

blasphemy :mrgreen:

just kidding , however the op was asking about pulled pork .

actually i might try taking a few slices off my next one , but i definitely disagree on the 180* temp and tenting ? for only 1/2 hr

Pull when it's probe tender. But if you must use a thermometer 200F should be close if not on the money.

blasphemy :mrgreen:

just kidding , however the op was asking about pulled pork .

actually i might try taking a few slices off my next one , but i definitely disagree on the 180* temp and tenting ? for only 1/2 hr

How would you do it for sliced? At least give us your method if you have a better idea.

Rhetorical, or real question?

Real answer: Cook a loin. Seriously, the shoulder region of a pig makes for some nasty slices IMHO; fatty, just not worth a ****. The loin however is perfect for slicing. You could under-cook a ham and do pretty good with slicing, but it too is better pulled IMHO.

True but JohnHB asked about sliced and that's who he was responding to.

That's why we have a quote button and the multiquote button :-D No confusion as to who someone is responding to.

Real answer: Cook a loin. Seriously, the shoulder region of a pig makes for some nasty slices IMHO; fatty, just not worth a ****. The loin however is perfect for slicing. You could under-cook a ham and do pretty good with slicing, but it too is better pulled IMHO.

I agree! If I want juicy slices of pork I cook a loin to 135, rest and slice.

I was just pointing out that pork shoulder can be used many different ways. Pulled, sliced, buckboard bacon, etc.

I cooked 2 butts today. Cook time was 9 hours, hit the stall at 162. Wrapped and coolered for 1 hour. Turned out perfect.

I normally wrap by looks. When the bark looks to be a good color, and if you are cooking fat cap up, the fat cap tends to start splitting.

I love loin of pork but there seem to be many recipes for roast shoulder of pork with bone in and out so I just thought a smoked shoulder would be an improvement on a roast shoulder!!!!
Just as an example of roast pork should bone out see the video link:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=eZVwzdrDpMY&desktop_uri=/watch?v=eZVwzdrDpMY
One could note that it was sliced to serve and looked great.
John

Last edited:
I've got a 15lb Costco boneless butt for tomorrow. How long should I plan on to smoke it at 225°-250°? Should I tie it? This is my first butt ever. Thanks.

I've got a 15lb Costco boneless butt for tomorrow. How long should I plan on to smoke it at 225°-250°? Should I tie it? This is my first butt ever. Thanks.

Ummm... Have you opened the cryovac? That's probably two boneless butts in there.

I don't like cooking boneless butts, so I can't help on the question of tieing, but I would cook it at a minimum of 250, more like 270 until it is probe tender or the bone wiggles loose.

Back