• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Deck boxes & outdoor storage ideas

DubfromGA

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I want a way to neatly store my lump, wood chunks and grill items on the deck.

Thinking about either a deck box or a horizontal storage shed.

I've seen Suncast and Rubbermade stuff recently. Not sure how well it holds up.

Opinions and reviews are appreciated.

Knowing how humid Georgia can get, and having lived in South Lousyana for a long time, make sure whatever storage solution you come up with will keep the wood chunks real dry. Otherwise you will have mold issues. Also, lump/charcoal will absorb moisture affecting it's burnability (yes I made up that word).

I have one of these that I bought used 7 or 8 years ago. It works well for me. I built shelves for it.

gs4000-open-xl.jpg

I use dock boxes from a yacht club here that redid it's docks.

Looking forward to reading more posts, I am also looking for something better than the rubbermaid tub that I pulled out of the garage this weekend.

I bought a Rubbermaid deck box roughly 5 years ago, it is still good a new. Held up very well. It is one of the bigger ones built to sit on. I store pool supplies, charcoal, chair cushions, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm hoping to get one (of some type) this weekend.

I use a couple of trash cans similar to the one below. Mine will hold a couple of 10# bags of my favorite lump and they will hold a bunch of chunks. Unless you keep a lot of 1 species of chunks around a few smaller trash cans might be a better choice. They don't have to be really sturdily made they just need a good tight fitting lid.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubberma...lack-Trash-Can-1778013/100656030#.UV-I9tslyqg

I use a 55 gallon drum that has a removable top that is secured with a clamp ring. I was going to use it for a second UDS, but it has a nasty liner and I will not go down that road a second time. I paid $15.00 for it.

Problem was solved yesterday.

20130406_162203_zpse73b6287.jpg

Now I need to cut a shelf for it.

That looks better than the one I bought. It was a Memorial's Day or Labor Day special at Lowes/Home Depot, Suncast deck box that warps and is pretty poorly made. I eventually just took it down and it's retired to the garage.

That looks better than the one I bought. It was a Memorial's Day or Labor Day special at Lowes/Home Depot, Suncast deck box that warps and is pretty poorly made. I eventually just took it down and it's retired to the garage.

That's sorta my fears with this one. It's also a Suncast. It was half the price of some of the ones I was looking at.

Time will tell.

If this one melts down, then I'm going to build one from pre-treated lumber.

Back