butcher paper

gotbags-10

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
So my wife is a teacher and they have 4 foot rolls of butcher paper they use for like bulletin boards and such. I'm just wondering if I could use this stuff to wrap my briskey in? Not sure if it would be considered food grade.

I've never used the craft/butcher paper but my understanding is that the real difference between that and the stuff that the butcher uses is that one is approved by the FDA and the other isn't. If you've got it, give it a try!

Last edited:
I've used kraft paper and real BP, the only difference I can see is the real BP hold up a lot better to moisture & grease coming off the product but either works. I've gon back to the real BP and just got a new 24"X1000' roll for $40 - I have a buddy that is a butcher & he gets it for me.

Might have to give it a try with the craft stuff first. I've never wrapped with paper before so I kinda want to try it first before I go spend 40 bucks on a roll.

I'd use it and never think twice about it, ya ever ate BBQ cooked in an old oil drum?

Other than avoiding the waxed butcher paper, kraft paper works just fine as a food wrap. At 225+ degrees, food grade shouldn't matter.

I'd be worried about the colorful school papers...but hmmm...I do have access to this stuff when school starts back up. :wink: It'd be worth trying I guess before purchasing a roll.
Not sure though that the paper wouldn't burn on our Weber Kettle. I use the snake method when doing a brisket. So I'm a little leery of the paper wrap for that reason.

Oh and what about just using parchment paper?? Has any one tried that?

My local Costco has " butcher paper" rolls, but they are white. Ive always been told you need to use that reddish brown butcher paper.. Is that true?

Back