Spice Grinding

bmonkman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am starting to dabble in concocting my own rub recipe and plan to use fresh spices. One question I have is regarding the use of a grinder and cleaning it.

What do folks do when grinding one spice and then another? Do you clean the grinder so it doesn't pick up the remnants from the previous grind in the new grind? If so, what do you do?

So far I have been using a mortar and pestle - but my hands aren't enjoying that too much. :icon_smile_tongue:

we use both m&p and old coffee grinder. Typically grind what we need for the recipe so I don't worry about a little leftover dust until everything is ground

After using a papertowel wipe is typically enough but if I chopped cinamon, or oily spices I will grind some rice wipe and wash with hot water.

I switch between spices and coffee all the time. Just wipe it out with paper towel and you are good.

If you use the grinder for both coffee and spices you have to clean it out thoroughly after using it for oily spices and black pepper. Pepper is the most noticeable IMO.
Curly

Grinding up dry rice does a really nice job if you're worried about getting a really strong flavor out of it.

Same as everyone else.
I ground some cloves once though, and that took forever to get the smell out.

Paul

Went through a few grinders trying to get the finest grind I could. Without getting to expensive I found the Krups F203 worked the best for 20 bucks or less. Better than many that cost 2 or 3 times that much. Cleaning by powdering dry uncooked rice picks up remnants and absorbs the left over oils. Then just wipe it out with a damp paper towel.

P.S. Grinding cloves will cause many grinders with clear plastic cups to turn cloudy, but will not harm the grinder. Something in the clove oil reacts with the clear plastic.

http://www.krupsonlinestore.com/pro...-42&trk_src_ss=KRUFGS75WEBPAYPC&kw={keyword}&.

THanks again everyone.

Follow-up question - does the color of the grinder effect how fine the grind is? I know color does effect the speed of a Thermapen so I figured I would ask. :tongue:

Color does not determine how fine the grind is. Most grinds are controlled by time. Hold the button down longer for a finer grind. Some may have an adjustment dial of some type.

THanks again everyone.

Follow-up question - does the color of the grinder effect how fine the grind is? I know color does effect the speed of a Thermapen so I figured I would ask. :tongue:

Everybody knows that the color has nothing to do with the grind. How could it ??

It's the speed ! Orange grinders grind 2 times faster than any other color ! :caked: :loco:

Everybody knows that the color has nothing to do with the grind. How could it ??

It's the speed ! Orange grinders grind 2 times faster than any other color ! :caked: :loco:

We don't have the, "spices," that you have access to. Bring us some!:thumb:

Back