• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Party for 200

B

ButtHuttBBQ

I am doing a party for a friend for about 200 people there will be 3 meats. Pork, Chicken and Brisket I know how much chicken I will need also pork at a loss of about 1/3 from raw. The big question is brisket is there really a loss of about 1/2 from raw?? I have never had to smoke that much brisket. They want me to give everyone a 3rd lb. of pork and brisket per person HELP.

I am doing a party for a friend for about 200 people there will be 3 meats. Pork, Chicken and Brisket I know how much chicken I will need also pork at a loss of about 1/3 from raw. The big question is brisket is there really a loss of about 1/2 from raw?? I have never had to smoke that much brisket. They want me to give everyone a 3rd lb. of pork and brisket per person HELP.

Are you cooking onsite? Or heat and eat? That's a heluva lot a food to do on your Lang and BWS.

As a rule of thumb, I normally get 15 regular size sandwiches out of a 10# pork butt. Brisket, depends on how you trim and slice it. Figure an easy loss of a 1/3 of the weight through cooking and trimming, plus shinkage. Also, there's no way that every person at that party is going to each 1# of meat. If the mix is 50/50 men and women, the women almost always eat less. One key is to not over cook the brisket, and slice thin. If you end up overcooking, you may have to slice too thick, which will throw off your yield. That same amount of brisket, when sliced, won't look the same as it would sliced thin. Just sayin'.

If you want to give me a call, I'll help you in any way I could. You have the number.

for 200 peeps

pork (50%loss).. buy 100lbs..will yield about 50+ lbs.. (12ish butts)
brisket (40% loss).. 82-85lbs. no this is tricky. leaving the point on and slicing or doing burnt ends??
chicken .. 25 chickens.. and cut into 8ths...or buy em already cut up into small pieces.. or all theighs (then i'd only buy 175 pieces...)

that being said, thats a lot, i mean A LOT of food. pork goes a long way with 2 other meats, and so does the chicken. brisket has issues as giggler mentioned, you'll have "scraps" from the cutting process. if you can just buy flats, do that. you'll need 76lbs. you don't want to run out..

next question.. whats that goint to cost ya?
pork $135ish
brisket $188ish
yardbirds $175 (if you buy 3.5lb'rs)

$500 rounded up, plus tax. is your frined selling it or just have a big mofo party? if so (my prices) i'd be charging $1460 for the meats..

Last edited:
Mad about Que is right near what I would be looking at.

I’m cooking on site with the brisket and chicken (thighs and legs) but will smoke the butts a day or two before and re warm. The party is in a VFW with a nice kitchen (two ovens).I have my lang#60 a fat boy , 22.5 & 18.5 WSM and my homemade 275gal chicken cooker.

Remember to get plenty of help from people that know BBQ and can fallow instructions.

for a group that size.. i agree, need some assist. not too many folks. i'd have one shadow and one runner.. but thats me. i'm a control freak.. ha
Remember to get plenty of help from people that know BBQ and can fallow instructions.

Back