MUDS Specs.....

BobBrisket

Reaction score
Here ya go Pheasant. Let me just say that I got original specs from Swamprb and then adapted from there. Here are the specs I went with. They are a combo of the ones Brian gave me and the ones I used.

Drum Height:26.5", Drum Diameter:14.5".

Intakes: 3 intakes at 11/16ths size. They are drilled 2.5" from the bottom. Grate is 2.5" from top. There is 5" of clearance from the grate to inside top of Weber lid.

Basket: I used a 24"L X 12"W sheet of expando from Lowe's. Rolled lengthwise held together with 4 bolts. Coal support is actually the bottom portion of a Mini Heineken keg with a whole bunch of holes drilled in it. That's all I could find and I did not feel like welding anything. My idea for the coal basket was to have something like a charcoal chimmney so that it would burn more like a candle using the Minion. I wanted more surface area from top to bottom. The basket is ~7" in diameter and the diameter of the drum is 14.5. My thinking was I could bank things around the edge of the grate and not have them directly over the basket. Works great. Held 250-300 (only had spikes when removing lid, otherwise was more like 250 rock solid)like a champ and went a little over 5 hours or so on a 2/3rds full basket of lump and briq's with about 4-5 lit coals.
Here's a few pics of the drum and basket.

4512337790_d3b88b7c53_o.jpg

Blitz pan that I put in at the bottom. It does not block the intakes.
4511697221_23ba54aa0c_o.jpg

4512337744_f8122fe487_o.jpg

Inside. You can see three metal screws down at the bottom. Those are the intake locations.
4512339274_3a22306c08_o.jpg

Will be mounting a perm therm later and maybe putting a second set of grate bolts about 1.5" further down for more grate to lid clearance.
4511699205_af937b4a90_o.jpg

Big and Little
4512114843_f69d7c876a_o.jpg

Hope it helps. Any ?'s, just ask.

Bob

Thanx Bob this is great :thumb: Just what I was looking for.

Well,I said I have enough drums but after seeing Lil Bobby B.'s mUDS I want one as well!
Thanks for the measurements B.!

Thanks for the pron and info. Building 2 UDS's this week. May try a MUDS if and when I find a drum.

Bobby B. ,could you show me a detailed pic of those bottom intakes?
I'm probably gonna replace all the nipples and stuPh on the UDS' with what you have.

Here's a close up Phu. Just a long strip of sheet metal that's just a bit wider than the vent hole. I then round of the edges and bend the top end. Then just a self tapping screw. I've never had any problems with them. You could use a nut and bolt too along with a drill bit. If you use the self tapping screws, be careful not to overdrill them or the will strip the hole and will not hold tight after that.
I'm a big fan of those self tapping ones. I use those farkers for everything!:-D
If you got anymore ?'s, lemme know, Bro!

Bob

Thanks B.!
So you don't use those spring/coil thingies....if you know what I mean?

Back