Venison

Puppyboy

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am smoking some venison back straps this weekend and have never done them before. Any suggestions on seasonings and cooking time?

I was thinking of cooking them like pork tenderloins. Is this a mistake?

What do you think?

well I have never done the whole back strap before, but I have smoked chops. All i can say is be careful. Venison is super lean, and has a tendency to dry out very quickly. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in soon. Just remember, don't overcook, and good luck.

Chris

How big was the deer? Go easy with the temp, and keep an eye on it. If the animal was very lean it can/will dry out on you in a hurry and get tough.

I would cut them into little "fillets" and grill them. If you do smoke them I would marinate and probably wrap them in bacon so they don't dry out.

All my backstrap gets sliced and fried. Personally, I wouldn't smoke any venison, except jerky.

thillin said:
All my backstrap gets sliced and fried. Personally, I wouldn't smoke any venison, except jerky.

All of mine goes to jerky or sausage. I've had some great venison, but deer in Texas aren't that big:oops:

thillin said:

I couldn't agree more about frying backstrap and smoking jerky.

I do make 60/40 venison/pork sausage and smoke it ...also like to save the neck roasts and smoke them for awhile, then make neck bones and rice.

Jorge said:
All of mine goes to jerky or sausage. I've had some great venison, but deer in Texas aren't that big:oops:

Yep, the rest goes in the grinder. Will get a variety of sausages.

Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Hey Thirdeye, I'd love to get my hands on some a dat' sausage. We don't get any of that here in SoCal.
Fins envious...

Single Fin Smoker said:
Hey Thirdeye, I'd love to get my hands on some a dat' sausage. We don't get any of that here in SoCal.
Fins envious...

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas is usually a good time for making sausage in my neck of the woods.

f37de7c1.jpg

thirdeye, you and your farking pics are completly responsible for raising my cholesterol by at least 20 points. I've got to cook some sausage for dinner now!

:twisted: :shock: :roll: :-D

Thirdeye has a way of doing that to me everytime he post a photo. The man out to be a food photographer. Hell he may do that for a living.
Thanks again for the pics. brother.

Mike

Man it's killing me to think of venison backstraps being submitted to that. :eek: Please stop, slice them up, roll in egg and flour mixture, and pan fry responsibly. If you wanna smoke venison save a whole leg or cut a roast out of one and smoke it but please, not the tenderloins.

I gotta go, I'm about to vapor lock or something.

Mrs. Frognot makes great venison chicken-fried steaks. With mashed taters and biscuits (and gravy covering all of it).

C'mon November 4th!

thillin said:

The back straps never make it to the fridge. Butcher's snacks, fried in a cast iron pan on top of the wood stove, out in the detached garage while cutting bambi up. Sorry Poo, venison don't come in cryo.

yea backstrap hardley ever makes it to the cryo or the freezer. it is fried up will we are puttin them tasty critters on ice.

Small Question

Ok, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm a little confused right now. A couple have mentioned back straps and tenderloins looks like interchangeably. I always thought the backstraps were the outside pieces, on the top of the back, and the tenderloins were the small ones on the inside of the ribcage ( Filet Mignon when refering to beef)? Can someone please put me on the right page?

dodgeramsst2003 said:
Ok, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm a little confused right now. A couple have mentioned back straps and tenderloins looks like interchangeably. I always thought the backstraps were the outside pieces, on the top of the back, and the tenderloins were the small ones on the inside of the ribcage ( Filet Mignon when refering to beef)? Can someone please put me on the right page?

The deer backstrap is the same as the deer loin and found on the outside of the carcass. You can cut chops from a deer, (like cutting a pork chops from a pork loin), but most folks strip them out while the deer is still hanging and wind up with boneless medallions. On a hog, the internal pieces are called tenderloins, but deer having such a low body weight have small tenderloins.

Back