Got a AM Royal Sponsor today

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Waiting on the final details, but I think we have a $1500 sponsor for the American Royal. Randy and I have never cooked it before. I've never been to the contest, either. (and I live in KC cooking comp for six year :icon_blush:)

I realize our choices in spots is going to be limited being newbies and all. Any advice on what to put on our application for you Royal vets? Is a Port a John a must?

Just don't get on the "dark side" if you can help it! It isn't exactly family friendly. That would be the far end of the Royal area out by the viaduct. Other than that, I think they're all pretty close to the same. I liked it better visiting the Meatheads on the non-dark side than when we cooked it out in party central.

Waiting on the final details, but I think we have a $1500 sponsor for the American Royal. Randy and I have never cooked it before. I've never been to the contest, either. (and I live in KC cooking comp for six year :icon_blush:)

I realize our choices in spots is going to be limited being newbies and all. Any advice on what to put on our application for you Royal vets? Is a Port a John a must?

Get a porta John but try to put it somewhere on your site that the public can't see it or get to it or be prepared for a bunch of drunken people asking you if they can use it or just using it withoug asking. Trust me you want your own porta John !

Just don't get on the "dark side" if you can help it! It isn't exactly family friendly. That would be the far end of the Royal area out by the viaduct. Other than that, I think they're all pretty close to the same. I liked it better visiting the Meatheads on the non-dark side than when we cooked it out in party central.

If I tell them, "no dark side" on the app, will they know what that means?

You want to be on the north side. The oppisite side of Kemper from the viaduct.

EVERY public porta-john is FULL by about 3:00am (at least on the dark side). The honey wagon didn't show up to dump them until about 6:00am. being drunk and watchin someone try to make a foil toilet seat protector is one of those things not too many people have witnessed!

EVERY public porta-john is FULL by about 3:00am (at least on the dark side). The honey wagon didn't show up to dump them until about 6:00am. being drunk and watchin someone try to make a foil toilet seat protector is one of those things not too many people have witnessed!

You know, getting some "real" seat protectors is a good idea. And a lock.

Congrats on getting the sponsor.

I wish you all the best.........and although I have never been to the contest, the prota John sounds like a good idea to me.
I would brind a pad lock for it based on the other posts.

You will want a porta pot. Put it at the back of your site, and lock it. And depending on your sponsors expectations, they may want you on the dark side. That is where all the "corporate" parties are or the folks with big shindigs. There will be 3 or 4 live bands going in the large sites. Sparkle Plenty had a band last year, as did Flying Warthogs/Bullfeathers - I know there were at least two others.... and a handful of D.J.'s. For someone putting out $1500 they may want the "party" atmosphere. I know Kaw Valley wanted the party - they invited out many of thier customers for dinner and drinks... (and paid for food, over and above the sponsorship for the site) It was a several thousand $$ event for them.

If they have been out before, they may have been on the dark side, and thought that is what they were buying....Is your sponsor expecting a party?

I would just validate with them, for that kind of jack.

You will want a porta pot. Put it at the back of your site, and lock it. And depending on your sponsors expectations, they may want you on the dark side. That is where all the "corporate" parties are or the folks with big shindigs. There will be 3 or 4 live bands going in the large sites. Sparkle Plenty had a band last year, as did Flying Warthogs/Bullfeathers - I know there were at least two others.... and a handful of D.J.'s. For someone putting out $1500 they may want the "party" atmosphere. I know Kaw Valley wanted the party - they invited out many of thier customers for dinner and drinks... (and paid for food, over and above the sponsorship for the site) It was a several thousand $$ event for them.

If they have been out before, they may have been on the dark side, and thought that is what they were buying....Is your sponsor expecting a party?

I would just validate with them, for that kind of jack.

No party. Just a banner & leftovers. :biggrin:

Its my surgeon's office. Told them that there's a lot of fat people at BBQ contests. :wink: Me included.

Its my surgeon's office. Told them that there's a lot of fat people at BBQ contests. :wink: Me included.[/quote]

I think "fat" might be somewhat harsh, maybe "caloricly challenged"? :p :eusa_clap

I have been to the dark side on friday night and i am still here it is not an kid friendy enviroment

you just have to go once to the dark side and you will know why it is called the dark side:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

york

Ahhh, bonus!! since it is your Surgeon's office.... no need for the big corp. darkside blow out!

But if they raffle off a free or discounted lap-band -- I'm entering 4000 times to stack the deck.

Boondoggle BBQ will be on the dark side. Personally, I don't think it's near as bad as what people make it out to be ... of course, I've been pretty drunk myself down there on Friday nights. At least this year when everyone (non-invitational cookers) gets drunk on Friday night, they can sleep in and not have to worry about turn in's ... just worry about that during the second hangover.

Long live the dark side!!!!! As the old saying goes – if it's too loud you're too old.

Believe it or not, I've never made it to the north side after dark. I'll mosey on over during the slow part of the day but I stay put on the dark side once the festivities begin. I know it is chaos and it's the only event where I embrace it. We'll be having a band this year, and punk rock karaoke... good times.

Bring a make shift fence too.

Long live the dark side!!!!! As the old saying goes – if it's too loud you're too old.

Believe it or not, I've never made it to the north side after dark. I'll mosey on over during the slow part of the day but I stay put on the dark side once the festivities begin. I know it is chaos and it's the only event where I embrace it. We'll be having a band this year, and punk rock karaoke... good times.

Bring a make shift fence too.

You hit it on the head. We are too old. :biggrin:

Rock on.

Back