This place REALLY changed me.....

Bluesman

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Yesterday I went shopping for dinner items at the local Piggly Wiggly. On most weekends they have the cook shack setup with some local organization grilling up brats, burgers and dogs to benefit their cause. I like to contribute plus I really like brats......:heh: Well I go order two at $2.50 a piece and take them back tot he car with me. After the first bite I'm like........WTF is this. These brats were dry, overcooked no snap and tasted horrible. After over 3 years here learning different methods, I must say the brats I cook are off the charts compared to these. Has this place redirected your eating opinions as well? I know 4 years ago I would have said, "these are good". But now, I am ruined...:tsk: I think next time I'll throw some money in the can and then go home and make my own......:thumb:

I think of this place like your first job. Sure you went to college to learn...but your first job probably taught you more in six months than your entire education.

I appreciate everything I read here...

We don't go out to eat very often, but if we do I don't order anything that I make at home for the same reason.

This forum I have learned so much about bbq. I had 0 experience and didn't know where to start. After months of lurking and researching inexpensive, but effective cookers I built my little Mini WSM. Since last year I have spent countless hours on this forum and have done between 2-4 cooks a week, every week working on techniques and flavor profiles, slowly developing what I know now.

I have literally learned everything I know about bbq from these forums.

I still eat out at other bbq joints as good food is good food. I try not to compare it to my bbq, as I tailor it to my flavor tastes. I also go with friends (and never by myself) so the dinner/lunch is more about the company than it is the food. What I find funny is my friends compare bbq restaurants food to my bbq more than I do. I think they have turned into bigger bbq snobs where I try to stay grounded as I know I am nowhere close to a pitmaster.

Just put more mustard on it next time, Blues. :-D

Yes. This truly an awesome place.

I made dry-rub ribs once and a year later after trying different restaurants and not finding what he like, he bought himself a WSM and got the instructions from me. He is now happily smoking his own.

I won't order BBQ outside anymore, I just disappoints me somehow.

It's for sure changed MY ability to cook great food, but not so much my perception of it. However, this place has shown me some great great food!

I spent $2,600 on a new smoker...yeah, that wouldn't have happened a year ago.:der: The biatch of it is, after 12 weeks I still haven't see the farking thing.:mad2: My patience is about to hit the limit.:tape: I'm now making daily calls, and haven't got a return call yet. They are about 6 hours away, and if I don't hear something this week they will get a very unhappy visitor.

Yep - have learned how to up my BBQ game, and so much more! The folks here are excellent cooks all around, not just Q.

I have to agree with above posts. Until April, I considered a grilling machine, that is on my gasser. Then I discovered BBQ Bretheren & dinner @ my house will never be the same. Our
Friends & family are definitely getting spoiled. My BIL just turned his nose up @ a BBQ sandwich this weekend & said, he this ain't you BBQ lol

I'm so addicted now that I decided to drive 9 hrs to get my kcbs judging certification. Bring on the que :cool:

Absolutely great site. All the friendly folks here have helped me to understand bbq through the history lessons, and certainly have helped me improve my Q skills and product.

Thanks all,

KC

Yep. And it goes for more than just Q but cooking in general. About the only place I'll go out to eat at is a local Thai food place- one because it's awesome and two because it's just something I don't typically cook. Other than than I find most places disappointing and am frequently annoyed at their attempt at cooking. I find myself thinking, "I'm supposed to be paying for this???"

Back