Leg of Lamb

Ross in Ventura

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
This meal was inspired by two gentleman on the Green Egg Forum, Mad Max and Richard FL.
DSC_0001-2.jpg

For the marinade olive oil, garlic, Green Zatar mix.
DSC_0002-3.jpg

Cut slits in the lamb pushed slivers of garlic in them.
DSC_0003-1.jpg

Rubbed in the Zatar, put the lamb in a zip-lock into the fridge for 3-hrs.
DSC_0004-3.jpg

DSC_0005-4.jpg

DSC_0009-3.jpg

In the Egg @350* with two potatoes.
DSC_0010-4.jpg

Out @ 145* internal 2:15 hr. Let rest for 30-min.
DSC_0011-2.jpg

Lamb just like I like it.
DSC_0015-1.jpg

Served with asparagus and potato. Very tasty indeed.:clap2:

Thanks for looking.

Ross

Excuse me for asking...but is there any gameyness to that cut or..just educate me man!

I am soooo hungry now, Ross! I wish someone else in my family would eat lamb. I have to get my fix with lamb chops once in a while.

Did you purchase the Za'atar from a store, or make it yourself? If homemade, would you care to share the recipe?

Looks Damn awesome, by the way:becky:

Excuse me for asking...but is there any gameyness to that cut or..just educate me man!
Lamb to me is not gamey it has great flavor

Ross
That looks awsome Ross. Did you have to go to a Middle Eastern market for the Zatar?
Yes I did, but you can make it your self. http://www.grouprecipes.com/95844/zatar.html

Ross
Outstanding!
Thanks Stef

Ross
WOW Ross that looks mouthwatering good......
Thanks Mark
Ross

I am soooo hungry now, Ross! I wish someone else in my family would eat lamb. I have to get my fix with lamb chops once in a while.
Thats horrible Ron, I'm glad you enjoyed my post
Ross
Wow that is simply amazing Ross! I missed your posts :-D
Thanks Al

Ross
Did you purchase the Za'atar from a store, or make it yourself? If homemade, would you care to share the recipe?

Ross
Looks Damn awesome, by the way:becky:
I bought it, but here is the recipe:http://www.grouprecipes.com/95844/zatar.html
Ross
Looks yummy, as always.. Love RIV posts!!
Thanks BJ, What is RIV?

Ross

Very nice Ross:clap2: Just wondering, did you let it sit out for a couple of hours before cooking?

I love Lamb :clap2: And I too wish someone in my family would eat besides me!!
But Ross your lamb has left me Speechless! Awsome stuff:-D

Found this recipe also. Might want to play around with this !

Zahtar
Makes a scant 1/3 cup.

AKA za'atar, predominately ground sumac, roasted sesame seeds, and green herbs, Zahtar is used to flavor meats and vegetables, or mixed with olive oil and used as a marinade for olives or as a spread for pita or flatbread- a tangy, slightly sour Middle Eastern replacement for a PBJ! The taste of a za'atar mixture can be herbal, or nutty, or toasty.
Za'atar is both a family of herbs and an herb, Thymbra spicata, with a slight minty tendency,in the marjoram/oregano family. Some are salty flavored and quite rare, some are lemony. Za'atar is NOT sumac. What is sold commercially is often blended with sumac and lightly toasted sesame seeds, but the base of the za'atar blend is za'atar herbs. Marjoram is much milder than the oregano we usually find, Western blends usually use it along with oregano and thyme. In the East, thyme is "Zaatar romi"(roman zaatar), and oregano is "Zaatar ach'dar"(green zaatar) and so forth. Zaatar can also be the name of hyssop or a varied mixture of herbs. The commercial mixes often contains three kinds of zaatar and sumac.
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons basil
2 tablespoons ground thyme
1 teaspoon whole thyme
2 teaspoons savory
2 teaspoons ground marjoram
1/2 teaspoons whole dry marjoram
1-2 tablespoons sumac berries, crushed (if available - see Middle Eastern deli's)
1/4-1/2 cup unhulled, toasted sesame seeds, ground coarsely
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
1 tablespoon dried ground lemon peel or zest of two lemons, very finely minced

Ideally, this is a little coarse. First grind the sesame seeds and crush the sumac separately. Then crush everything together with a pestle or the back of a spoon, or put it into a zipper plastic baggie, press out the air, seal, and roll over it with a rolling pin or the side of a quart jar until the desired mix and texture is achieved.
While it is fresh, dampen a few tablespoons with olive oil, and add some hummus or crushed chickpeas if you like, to make "dukkah". Spread on pita or flatbread, and bake or broil until hot through. Or work some into the top of fresh bread dough before baking. Green zahtar variation: Omit sumac and replace with ground and whole thyme or marjoram, fenugreek leaf (exotic flavor) or dried parsley.

Back