Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

Level Ground

I am keeping mine in the garage because I don't have a covered patio. My house faces to the east, which means after about 2 PM I will be in the shade. If she was out back, I would be in the sun from 10:00 AM until almost sundown. I'll take the shade! :thumb:

Our North Carolina home is built on the side of a mountain @ 3900 ft. and there's not much level ground here. We're having our contractor lay a level pad fore and aft for the cooker so the water pan will stay level.

Pad04.jpg

Pad03.jpg

Pad01.jpg

We're also extending the car port to the side of the mountain to have room to cover our "toys".

Extension01.jpg

Did you use both as stickburners? Any difference in taste/smoke flavor between them? Thanks!
I've always burned nothing but wood in my pits with the exception of a chimney of lit lump for starting my fire and to get a quick coal bed.
The most noticeable thing about the vertical configuration is that it gives a much wider range of temperatures. Because the heat and smoke get to travel up almost immediately after leaving the firebox instead of travelling sideways a great distance first, it's a lot easier to get higher temps and the cooker drafts much better. My old horizontal offset would barely get over 275 on a hot summer day while my LSG vertical can easily hit 350 if I want it to, and with not as large a fire as you would think. Once the 1/2' firebox and the 1/4" steel construction of my pit gets heated up it really requires very little fire to maintain temp. In addition to this the 30" x 24" cabinet with 6 slide outs will hold as much or in most cases more food than many of the larger trailer pits out there while costing a lot less!
If you're looking to purchase a high end offset, I'd HIGHLY recommend the Lone Star Grillz vertical offsets!:wink:

Our North Carolina home is built on the side of a mountain @ 3900 ft. and there's not much level ground here. We're having our contractor lay a level pad fore and aft for the cooker so the water pan will stay level.

Very nice!

Ironically my backyard patio slab slopes downward...making it bothersome for me. I will probably have someone come out in the near future and extend my patio and level it out. I need to find a way to level off my cooker or it will drive me nuts. I also need to buy some wheel chocks to keep this sucker from rolling away :-D

I've always burned nothing but wood in my pits with the exception of a chimney of lit lump for starting my fire and to get a quick coal bed.
The most noticeable thing about the vertical configuration is that it gives a much wider range of temperatures. Because the heat and smoke get to travel up almost immediately after leaving the firebox instead of travelling sideways a great distance first, it's a lot easier to get higher temps and the cooker drafts much better. My old horizontal offset would barely get over 275 on a hot summer day while my LSG vertical can easily hit 350 if I want it to, and with not as large a fire as you would think. Once the 1/2' firebox and the 1/4" steel construction of my pit gets heated up it really requires very little fire to maintain temp. In addition to this the 30" x 24" cabinet with 6 slide outs will hold as much or in most cases more food than many of the larger trailer pits out there while costing a lot less!
If you're looking to purchase a high end offset, I'd HIGHLY recommend the Lone Star Grillz vertical offsets!:wink:

So not much difference in smoke flavor? I can see how the vertical allows for much higher heat vs. a horizontal pit. Thanks oldbill! I've heard nothing but good things about lone star grillz, I'll keep them in mind.

So not much difference in smoke flavor? I can see how the vertical allows for much higher heat vs. a horizontal pit. Thanks oldbill! I've heard nothing but good things about lone star grillz, I'll keep them in mind.
Sorry I didn't really answer your question about the smoke! It's actually better on the vertical because with a better draft there's less of a chance of getting stagnant smoke hanging out in the smoking chamber and therefore less of a chance of too much smoke or creosote. The quality of my Q went up several notches once I got my vertical offset.:-D

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what do these things weigh?

Dave - She weighs between 775 and 800 lbs.

Using water is it possible to hold temps of 275?

I'm sure you can, although I have not really done it yet. I cooked ribs once, and my temps did go over 275, but I cannot be sure about how much water was inside.

Very nice!

Ironically my backyard patio slab slopes downward...making it bothersome for me. I will probably have someone come out in the near future and extend my patio and level it out. I need to find a way to level off my cooker or it will drive me nuts. I also need to buy some wheel chocks to keep this sucker from rolling away :-D

I used slant levelers from Camping World
HTML:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/slant-levelers-set-of-2/56862
to level my Myron Mixon smoker. Roll the smoker up on the leveler and check it with a level, then apply the brake or chock.

I used slant levelers from Camping World
HTML:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/slant-levelers-set-of-2/56862
to level my Myron Mixon smoker. Roll the smoker up on the leveler and check it with a level, then apply the brake or chock.

Thanks!

I ended up buying these from amazon. "Andersen-3604 Camper Leveler"

I found the slant levelers and others as well. Figured the ones I bought would be easier for me to handle on my own. Can't wait to fire it up!

I'm looking to get my smoker up my garage. I have a 1 inch rise from the driveway to the garage. Any ideas. Ive been using the plywood from the crate to get it up there but there has to be something easier. Would like to get the plywood out of my garage. I looked at the leveler ramps and they just are too much.

So a couple more questions for you guys while I save my pennies for one of these.

1. Is this a reverse flow design?

2. How does the grease draining work when you do big cooks? It looks like there's a drain valve from the water pan, is that where the grease comes out too? What if you're not using water?

3. Does it come with a cover for the water filler so you can keep rain and critters out?

I'm looking to get my smoker up my garage. I have a 1 inch rise from the driveway to the garage. Any ideas. Ive been using the plywood from the crate to get it up there but there has to be something easier. Would like to get the plywood out of my garage. I looked at the leveler ramps and they just are too much.

You might Google "Threshold Ramps". Here is one link: http://www.discountramps.com/threshold_ramp_page/c/3130/
The most permanent solution would be a sloped concrete ramp.

so a couple more questions for you guys while i save my pennies for one of these.

no the smoke enters the chamber through a gap on the sides and back of the water pan

2. How does the grease draining work when you do big cooks? It looks like there's a drain valve from the water pan, is that where the grease comes out too? What if you're not using water?

water pan and grease pan are the same, i use a foil pan under the meat on the rack below where i am cooking

3. Does it come with a cover for the water filler so you can keep rain and critters out?

mine did not, i'm sure chris could make one for it

It is not a reverse flow design but I get great smoke taste and rings. It also gives me a great color on my food.

With the size of the grates, I usually put pans underneath the food to catch drippings. There is a ball valve to empty out the water pan/grease catcher. I use a cheap ice scraper to get all the rest of it out that may have solidified.

I found that using a wine cork works good for the water filler. I check it to make sure it doesn't dry up and fall apart like it may in old wine bottles. I will probably look at getting a large washer and bolt, then threading them and maybe painting them with some paint to keep the paint up there protected. Cork is working great so far. And doesn't seem to get too hot

Dave A,

It is not a reverse flow

It does have a drain to for the grease/water pan

I use a wine bottle cork to plug the water fill hole.( I dont use water)

Thanks!

I'm kicking around the idea of having him make a XL version. I'd like it tall enough for one more rack, everything else the same. Basically room for 10 full-size pans.

Im sure Chris can make an extra tall version for you. Or possibly add a rack. There is room for that for sure! Good luck!

So a couple more questions for you guys while I save my pennies for one of these.

1. Backwoods Smokers and Pitmaker Vault are reverse flow. The LSG is not.
2. The water pan drains out of the 1 1/4" ball valve. Use foil pans and you won't have any grease. The LSG will hold 2 full sized foil pans per grate.
3. No cover for the water filter.

Oh yeah one more question, will it fit through a door? I'd need to roll it through my house to get it onto my back patio.

Not sure. Its about 25-26 inches deep (front to back) with door. 34-35 inches wide. Id measure that door way. This thing is heavy.

Back