150 lbs in two cooks!

Rookie'48

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Well, here it is Tuesday morning & I think that I've recuperated from last week's cook :sick:. I was asked to cook pulled pork and pulled beef for a cutomer appreciation day last Saturday at Diamond Trail RV in Bevington, Iowa. I bought a case of four big chuckies and a case of ten butts from my local Costco.
I started with the chuck rolls, cutting them in half, trimming (not very much), rubbing them down with Plowboys Bovine Bold and loading them in the UDS and the Traeger 075 around midnight Wednsday. They came off of the smokers Thursday afternoon, got pulled, vacu-sucked, given a bath in ice and left to rest.
That night (Thursday) around midnight I pulled out the butts and suddenly remembered that our Costco only sells boneless butts and that these were already very well trimmed - the total amount of fat trimmed from all ten butts was only about 5 pounds! Anyway, I did what little trimming was needed, hit the butts with a dose of Slabs Kyle Style rub and re-loaded the Traeger and the UDS. These were finished cooking Friday afternoon, got pulled, bagged, iced, etc.
Saturday morning found me up at the ungodly hour of 5 am to reheat all of this meat, load it in 1/2 pans and deliver at 10 am.
I learned a couple of new things while doing this cook:
1) I have trouble keeping the temps up with K-ford Comp in the UDS
2) $5 a bag for ice sure gets expensive
3) Now I really understand why caterers charge what they do :becky:.
and 4) I'm too damn old & crippled to do this very often :redface:.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 185
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 181
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 182
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 181
Wow! Looks great. I haven't used my Traeger for awhile. I've been busy but I need to do a pulled butt or chuckie.

Amazing!! Sounds fun but I can imagine how tired you were..

Nice work Dave! Next time give me a ring and I can help your old crippled a** :boxing:

Wow! That's a lot of pork, Dave! Good job!

I only have one thing to say...

FEAR THE PIG! (I didn't hear that at Marshalltown this year :becky:)

Well, here it is Tuesday morning & I think that I've recuperated from last week's cook :sick:. I was asked to cook pulled pork and pulled beef for a cutomer appreciation day last Saturday at Diamond Trail RV in Bevington, Iowa. I bought a case of four big chuckies and a case of ten butts from my local Costco.
I started with the chuck rolls, cutting them in half, trimming (not very much), rubbing them down with Plowboys Bovine Bold and loading them in the UDS and the Traeger 075 around midnight Wednsday. They came off of the smokers Thursday afternoon, got pulled, vacu-sucked, given a bath in ice and left to rest.
That night (Thursday) around midnight I pulled out the butts and suddenly remembered that our Costco only sells boneless butts and that these were already very well trimmed - the total amount of fat trimmed from all ten butts was only about 5 pounds! Anyway, I did what little trimming was needed, hit the butts with a dose of Slabs Kyle Style rub and re-loaded the Traeger and the UDS. These were finished cooking Friday afternoon, got pulled, bagged, iced, etc.
Saturday morning found me up at the ungodly hour of 5 am to reheat all of this meat, load it in 1/2 pans and deliver at 10 am.
I learned a couple of new things while doing this cook:
1) I have trouble keeping the temps up with K-ford Comp in the UDS
2) $5 a bag for ice sure gets expensive
3) Now I really understand why caterers charge what they do :becky:.
and 4) I'm too damn old & crippled to do this very often :redface:.

Great looking meat!

hmm... that sounds wrong

My UDS seems to like the K-ford comp better than the regular stuff. I picked up one of the twin packs from costco for about $13 a while back and it holds a much more steady temp in the drum once I get it to where I want it.

Good looking grub!! Makin' that hard work look easy!

$5 ice!! Hope they were some big ol' bags!

Thanks for sharing.

I should have mentioned that the $5 bags of ice are 25 pounds each, but you sure can go through a lot of them cooling down, and keeping cold, that much meat :rolleyes:. And Pat, the next time (if there ever is one) that I do something like this I'll be sure to call :doh:.

I should have mentioned that the $5 bags of ice are 25 pounds each, but you sure can go through a lot of them cooling down, and keeping cold, that much meat :rolleyes:. And Pat, the next time (if there ever is one) that I do something like this I'll be sure to call :doh:.

Dave, you can give me a call too. I can keep Pat company while we sit around and watch you work. :becky:

Looks great Dave... I would have helped too if I lived closer. :-D

Dave, you should have called. I have a smoker that would have done that all in one night and no cooling needed.

Back