De-Boning Ribs

S

SmokeInDaEye

My question seems to have been deleted from the pork parting thread but I was wondering if it would be illegal if I cut the meat off of pork ribs, cooked the meat (or boiled it over charcoal), then wrapped the meat around the original bones for presentation?

And maybe reheated the "ribs" on my smoker before turn-in? Not a big deal, just wondering.

My question seems to have been deleted from the pork parting thread but I was wondering if it would be illegal if I cut the meat off of pork ribs, cooked the meat (or boiled it over charcoal), then wrapped the meat around the original bones for presentation?

And maybe reheated the "ribs" on my smoker before turn-in? Not a big deal, just wondering.

Would this be for a Bobby Flay throwdown?

Would this be for a Bobby Flay throwdown?

Shhhhhh, Larry! I'm looking to win the Food Network boiled rib throw down. Going to test the bone out, bone back in process in competition next weekend.

I know this thread is tongue in cheek but it reminds me of the Madison, IN contest a couple of years ago. I cooked my ribs on a Jedmaster which cooks faster than any cooker I've ever cooked on but back then I was just discovering that. When I took the ribs out of the foil to put back on the cooker, three bones slid out of the meat which is pretty much I think to the standard you're trying to get too. Anyway to make a long story short, I slid the bones back into the ribs knowing they were overcooked but turned them in anyway. To my shock I got a call on those ribs, 3rd place. Last year I tried to correct the overcooking and cooked them to standard and it cost me the GC loosing by .0006 point with 31st place ribs.

I know this thread is tongue in cheek but it reminds me of the Madison, IN contest a couple of years ago. I cooked my ribs on a Jedmaster which cooks faster than any cooker I've ever cooked on but back then I was just discovering that. When I took the ribs out of the foil to put back on the cooker, three bones slid out of the meat which is pretty much I think to the standard you're trying to get too. Anyway to make a long story short, I slid the bones back into the ribs knowing they were overcooked but turned them in anyway. To my shock I got a call on those ribs, 3rd place. Last year I tried to correct the overcooking and cooked them to standard and it cost me the GC loosing by .0006 point with 31st place ribs.

Ha! Same thing happened to me a year ago. Best score ever for my ribs. And they say "fall of the bone" is a bad thing.:biggrin:

That's sort of the reason for my question. I just started playing with a "rib lollipop" at home, based off of those chick lollipops that were popular a year or two ago where you cut the meat away from the bottom part of the wing bone and push it up to make a ball of meat on a stick (aka bone).

Basically do a hollywood cut rib, separate the lower portion from the bone and make a hunk of meat at the top. Cook them in a pan to almost braise them then add more rub and cook over direct heat to set the bark a bit. Sauce and serve. While I would risk it today in a contest, the pork seperating/dissection of the rules got me thinking as to what defines a rib in the judges mind.

I also think splitting a rack down the middle of the bones and cooking riblets could be a cool way to fun way to set one apart in a contest where most people are using the same rubs, sauces, wrap ingredients, etc.

Or is straying too much from the norm a death sentence ala the Polocks awesome "fried" chicken...

Why don't you give it a try and post the results?

Back