Smoking sausage?

Exe-que-tioner

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking for a good recipe for sausage. Anyone know where I might find one? This past weekend was our first time doing sausage. We started with a basic grind of pork sausage (store bought), added spices we have been toying around with, rolled into links, and smoked without a casing. Was just wondering if this is somewhat close to what is going on in the sausage world of smoking? Any ideas would help if you got em'. Thanks.

The best reference on the internet for making sausage is here...

http://lpoli.50webs.com/AlphabeticalList.htm

He has a huge recipe collection.

Please note: He has put a lot of time into his site and the recipes and the site and the recipes are copyrighted. They are for personal use and should not be published or copied. Please respect that. (Not that you wouldn't, of course).

Exe, we didn't do well at sausage either and really never have. If you find something that works, let us know! :lol:

Didn't know when I saw you guys at Blue Springs that you were around the Brethren camp! I see this is your first post. Head over to Cattle Call forum here and introduce yourself when you get a chance!

Thanks for the website info on sausage Ron.

Jeff,
Yes I am new to the site and just trying to find my way around. I'll check out the cattle call when I get a chance and will introduce. I guess we should've come by and introduced ourselves @ the Bllaze-off. :oops:
I think we saw you guys @ the Blues and BBQ in Sedalia this year too.
If I find a good sausage recipe that works I'll pass it on. Thanks

For a fellow Grain Valleyian here is one:

2.5 lbs – coarse ground pork butt
1.5 to 2 lbs. – coarse ground beef chuck
1 cup – powdered (instant) buttermilk
2 T – Meathead Rib Rub
1 T – Seasoned salt
1 T – Chipotle Chili powder
1 T – Sugar
1 T – Black pepper
1 T – Rubbed sage
1 T – crushed Red Pepper
2 Tsp – cumin
1 Tsp – ground marjoram
1 Tsp – Cayenne pepper
1 Cup – Ice water (as needed)

Combine the meats by hand until well mixed. Combine the dry ingredients then add to meat a little at a time, mixing well each time. Add ice water as needed to get the mixture to a “sticky” stage and it binds together. Cover and refrigerate at least 24 hours. Stuff into casings or form into logs wrapped in plastic wrap. Smoke casing until done. Smoke the logs in plastic wrap until firm (about 15 – 20 minutes), unwrap and add BBQ rub (I used our Rib Rub). Smoke until it reaches 155 to 160 degrees in the middle, remove, let rest for 10 to 15 minutes and slice.

Thanks for the website info on sausage Ron.

Jeff,
Yes I am new to the site and just trying to find my way around. I'll check out the cattle call when I get a chance and will introduce. I guess we should've come by and introduced ourselves @ the Bllaze-off. :oops:
I think we saw you guys @ the Blues and BBQ in Sedalia this year too.
If I find a good sausage recipe that works I'll pass it on. Thanks

LOL! I should have come over myself! Things were a little crazy around Camp Big Creek with all the Yankee in-laws hanging around for the weekend. :roll: Noticed your smoker though... do you have a rotisserie in that or just stationary shelves?

I was wondering how most turned in sausage at contests.In casings or pattied or what?I see they have a sausage catagory in columbia mo in a couple weeks and we are headed that way.

I was wondering how most turned in sausage at contests.In casings or pattied or what?I see they have a sausage catagory in columbia mo in a couple weeks and we are headed that way.

Lion, we have turned in fatties and cased sausages and done equally chitty! :lol: I think whatever you feel most comfortable cooking is the way to go. If you wanna do fatties and doctor them up, creativity could work. If not and you want something simple, go with a cased sausage that has some really good flavor. OR... go to a lot of work and make your own. Wayne's recipe above is killer! I've had it when he's done it at comps.

Hi Peter... It was nice meeting you guys in Dubuque. Double check the rules for the sausage category. In some cases they allow stuffed sausage or sauces in the box. in that case you will have guys turning in all kinds of interesting things. i think the top sausage entry at Shannon this year included sauce with the sausage. I also saw a picture on another forum (and can't remember which one :rolleyes:) where one team turned in mini brats in mini buns and had mini steins of beer in the box.

Jeff,
No rotisserie-just stationary, removable racks. Wish I had a paint job like yours-nice color! Spicewine does a nice job.

Thanks to Mokan for the recipe for sausage-cant wait to try it!

hey Ron, it was good to meet you..Congrats on your call up there..Tough field and judges.. We faired much better the next weekend in Quincy.. Peter

Ron, thanks for the info..I will have to check what they allow.I have never been to this columbia mo contest before

Back