• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Make sure your grill brush is in good shape!

LanceM88

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
A freaky thing happened to a guy I work with. He was cleaning his grill with an old grill brush and apparently one of the bristles came out and stuck between one of the grill joints. Well, he didn't notice, threw on a couple of steaks for him and the Mrs, had a great dinner.......well, 3 days later he thought he had a kidney stone attack. Doubled over, headed to the hospital. They checked him out and told him he didn't have kidney stones, upon further tests they found that he had a piece of stainless wire (tiny little piece) stuck in his small intestine!!! It was about 1/4" long and bent at a perfect 90 degrees. Long story short, they had to operate and remove it! This is not BS, I held the jar with the piece in it just the other day. Please be careful with the wire brush. Definitely wipe down the grill with a wet rag after scrubbing it with a brush!!

A certain waffle restaurant use to use wire wheels to clean the waffle makers and then burn a couple batters on it. The burnouts were done in an effort to get the wire bristles out. Well, they cannot use it anymore because people were choking on the stuff.

Good post!

I can't remember what show I saw it on, either shocking er stories, or something along those lines, same thing, someone cleaned their grill, then put burgers on, the metal splinter ended up in the wall of the guys heart when the esophagus was working the food down.

yep, can be an issue. but this is why many will also wipe down the grate afterwards.
and chew yer food thoroughly !

when I first heard of this a few years ago, I threw all my brushes away. I use a well seasoned mesquite branch between the hot grates and a ball of foil, works like a champ and no issues with metal brushes.

yea when i first heard of this happening i got paranoid. then i noticed a bristle or two on the grill grate and was like OMG WTF?! now im even more paranoid and always try to wipe down with wet paper towel.

Oddly enough this actually happened to my doctor too! I'm guessing it's more common than we think...

I had one stick in my lower gum from a burger a while back, never used a wire brush since then. I used those springy stainless steel chore boys to clean the grill now...

I had one stick in my lower gum from a burger a while back, never used a wire brush since then. I used those springy stainless steel chore boys to clean the grill now...

You're supposed to clean the grates?

This issue came up a few years ago on a diff. forum and since then
I have thrown out my metal bristle grill brush!

My "brush"

Tempered mesquite branch fits perfect between grates and foil shines it the rest of the way

Last edited:
I remember seeing a similar story on the news about 10 years ago. It stayed with me and I think about it every single time I clean my grills. Scary. I like this tin foil idea I think I'm gonna try that and see how well it works.

I gave up on brushes. I use one of these,
Chefcleaningthegrill_zpsfd3b44c1.jpg

followed by a stainless steel scrubby, and then sterilize in the cooker.

Back