Making my own smoker, couple questions.

"Familiar with", not "family with"........spell check got me.

Ok, maybe I should've been more clear. That fire box is half outside the barrel in the picture just to show where it goes, haha. It rests in the bottom of the barrel as would any coal basket.

The four holes that I mentioned are near the very bottom of the drum to get oxygen to the coals. I want to know what kind of nipples, or whatever their called, people use to cap off when they want to restrict airflow, I definitely don't need any more air getting to the coals, I'm talking about installing metal pieces that will let me restrict the air.

Like on the bottom of this drum:

Attachments

• uds-ugly-drum-smoker-smokers-for-sale_4.jpg
    uds-ugly-drum-smoker-smokers-for-sale_4.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 109
Now certainly you could make something with those parts ..... But a few cations and a bit of advice first!
NO PAINT ON THE INSIDE !!! Really no paint ! What ever you make to cook / smoke food in you want no paint!

Now back to making a smoker......

You could put the parts together in all manner of ways and make something you could call a smoker, granted. There will be many that offer suggestions of how they would do it and why - and I bet they are all right

But one question, since you are just starting to smoke, do you think a one off contraption is the way to go?

Let's consider your fist butt.... It's got you feeing a bit uneasy about how it's going, perhaps temps are all over the place! No problem you say, I ask the Breatheren.... Now because you have a one off smoker you will get answers that conflict confuse and bewilder , all of them right in one way or another .....

If you build a mini UDS you know have a device that is well known and a huge knowledge base at the brethren - you questions will get answered with fire control, air management , and more targeted to you method rather than your cooker.

I highly suggest you build a UDS mini or otherwise and learn on it
then spread your wings if you must and build something custom
Really a small drum welded to a small air tank = COS which can be picked up for @ $100 at Wally World I'm sure welding and finding parts like grids etc will cost you more in the short run to build it.

Bottom line make a mini UDS with this drum or get a 55 and build a full size - you will NOT regreat it

Just my 2 cents

Really Good 2 cents Right Here ... :clap2::clap2::clap2::becky:

So for the pipe caps, is there a preferred metal, iron, brass etc?

I made some chicken, a pork roast stuffed with a link of chourico, and some baked beans on the smoker the other day, all came out good. I had never had baked beans from a smoker before.......

As was previously mentioned, you are pretty much on your own with this one off build. Most folks don't really know how to help as they've no experience with this custom smoker. If you are going the custom route, you should be pretty good with figuring things out yourself......or don't go down that path. Maybe some of the more experience folks can speculate how to help, not sure.

With that said, I hope this works out well for you as you've put a lot of time in this. I admire that quality. Just think what you could have done if you had the wisdom to listen to advice?

Ok, maybe I should've been more clear. That fire box is half outside the barrel in the picture just to show where it goes, haha. It rests in the bottom of the barrel as would any coal basket.

The four holes that I mentioned are near the very bottom of the drum to get oxygen to the coals. I want to know what kind of nipples, or whatever their called, people use to cap off when they want to restrict airflow, I definitely don't need any more air getting to the coals, I'm talking about installing metal pieces that will let me restrict the air.

Now that's what a UDS with a sealed cooking compartment looks like. With that unit, you can control the airflow and temps since there are only 3-4 small holes at the bottom. Most use conduit with iron pipe caps or weld black iron gas pipe to the bottom. If you don't seal your doors, the holes at the bottom are a moot point.

So for the pipe caps, is there a preferred metal, iron, brass etc?

I made some chicken, a pork roast stuffed with a link of chourico, and some baked beans on the smoker the other day, all came out good. I had never had baked beans from a smoker before.......

Yes for that particular smoker you deferentially need to use galvanized metal and if possible for anything inside as well.

Hey Custom to you by chance work for our government in any capacity? :cry:
Dave

You guys seem pretty adamant about the UDS.

Trust us that have built and use a UDS.......They are the best! I built mine, after using a store bought, charcoal hog, vertical, with water pan, smoker. It was alright, but the work I did trying to keep it up to temperature was amazing. The results were ok, I guess.....

When I put my UDS on the side of my deck, my wife didn't really want it there....too ugly! But once the first burnt offering came off, and she got that good smoky goodness in her mouth, she sang a different tune. It is still setting on the blocks off to the side of our deck, and it is still a ugly drum showing signs of rust, with the only thing giving it away as a useable item is the Weber dome lid I got for it. I am here to say, you can't re-invent the best designed smoker out there, that squeezes the last nickel out of every piece of charcoal. Very good to have a GREAT smoker in my arsenal of southern outdoor cooking.

Attachments

• UDS Smoker 1.jpg
    UDS Smoker 1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 104
First, Do not use any galvanized metal it carries a very hazardous material that when burned can be toxic. Use Black Stainless Nipples and caps. On one or 2 of the nipples attach a brass ball value or outdoor shut off value. I find that the outdoor shut off value works the best. Something like you would attach your garden hose too. Just like water flow you can really fine tune the air with that value. The ball value is really all the way open or all the way closed. I have one of eachon my UDS.

I see no one has answered your question as to controling the air flow. The simplest way would be to use refigrator magnets that you can add or remove or slide to the side covering part of the hole.

First, Do not use any galvanized metal it carries a very hazardous material that when burned can be toxic. Use Black Stainless Nipples and caps. On one or 2 of the nipples attach a brass ball value or outdoor shut off value. I find that the outdoor shut off value works the best. Something like you would attach your garden hose too. Just like water flow you can really fine tune the air with that value. The ball value is really all the way open or all the way closed. I have one of eachon my UDS.

I meant my answer and question to be derogatory given the fact he has totally dismissed out of hand any real advice give here by many and did not think he would actually use my suggestion either. Guess I have spent too much time down in the News and Politics and have become a bit cynical, my bad.

Judging from the pic and description of his cooker I really would suggest it be scrapped and a real uds built but I don't think he is getting it. Upside I guess he will learn from his own mistakes and can't blame anyone here for lack of good advice.

As for the galvanized metal, if used outside for intakes it should not get hot enough to emit toxic fumes as suggested and it has not been proven the fumes are hazardous. Having said that I would still not use it, instead cheaper than stainless steel I would go with black steel nipples and conduit nuts with black steel caps. I personalty use one 2 in nipple with an elbow and another short nipple with a pvc ball valve this has been in service for about 4 or 5 years without melting as many would have you believe it will, plus it is much cheaper then any metal ball valve.

The only way for him to control heat is by adding fuel as needed so he mite as well get a offset stick burner with better air control than that thing. I think that is what he was after in the first place and I guess that is a personal choice.
Dave

I love how I can ask specific questions and some of you can only cojure up lame criticism in response. I guess everyone is a tough guy behind a keyboard. I've seen other guys with threads dealing with the same thing, it's pretty weak. If you don't have something to contribute don't post.

Thanks for the info lashing and pickupnut. That outdoor valve option sounds pretty cool.

Peace

I love how I can ask specific questions and some of you can only cojure up lame criticism in response. I guess everyone is a tough guy behind a keyboard. I've seen other guys with threads dealing with the same thing, it's pretty weak. If you don't have something to contribute don't post.

Thanks for the info lashing and pickupnut. That outdoor valve option sounds pretty cool.

Peace

from one of your post. " If anyone wants different pictures or has a question, or criticism, feel free."
I guess you really never meant you wanted any criticism

You received a bounty of suggestions some had much needed and correct constructive criticism attached. I think the only advice you took was only going with two shelves instead of three.

My first post was indeed not my best foot put forward to help you but after reading all your responses and what you finally built and basically laughed out loud at everyone, I laughed back at ya.

In my second post I gave you sound and proven advice like so many have done, you once again have taken offense. I have kids that ask for advice all the time but seldom like it because I tell them what they need to know, not what they want to hear and usually they go away mad.

Now if you are truly happy with your creation and can deal with it then more power to you, I really mean that. If in the future you decide you want to do something different and need advice please do not hesitate to come here and ask, but do so with an open mind and a willingness to really listen. Now do the right thing and go smoke something. One last recommendation get a fire extinguisher before your next cook, the life you save may be your own. :rolleyes:
Dave

This little give and take has been entertaining to read. I kind of see both sides of this. I am a shade tree fabber and last winter set about to build a heavy center feed reverse flow smoker out of two compressor tanks. I spent little money but a lot of time working on it. I've done several cooks on it to varying success. I say all that to say that it is available to the first scrap guy that comes by with room to throw it in his truck. I'm building two UDSs-one for me and one for a buddy. I'm using the kettle instead of the lid for a lid because I have to go against convention a little bit. Sure wish I'd have know about the UDS before I wasted all that time.

The general item used is black iron pipe caps 3/4 inch
A close 3/4 inch nipple is attached to the drum and the cap is used on all but one of the intakes
The valve is a 3/4 ball valve
Note: black iron is generally used for plumbing natural gas lines and will be found in plumbing at lowes or home depot. As will the valve

The valve is often cheaper at harbor freight

Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to add these on soon, maybe this weekend. I think I'll be cooking again on Sunday, can't wait.

Lookin' good.

Attachments

• IMAG0287.jpg
    IMAG0287.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0290.jpg
    IMAG0290.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0288.jpg
    IMAG0288.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMAG0289.jpg
    IMAG0289.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 42
I have a neighbor with an egg. While talking with him I asked him about the rub he used. Over the next ten minutes he told me three times I should sell me trailored offset and buy an egg.

He has nothing on the UDS heads from this thread.

Where are the pics of this smoker you have assembled?
Honestly that's what this post was all about, unless you want to post pics of it in addition to the grub you have wasted all of our time. I think you are using your gasser personally and gave up on your smoker. Love to be proved wrong as much as I would like to see the machine. Look 2 birds with one stone...

Back