knockoff cabinet offset smokers

Johnny Ca$h

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello all, Started to build a cabinet style offset smoker " knockoff "http://http://pitsbyjj.com/products_detaill.asp?categoryname=Smokers&id=13 and I need some inside shots of where the fire box 18"high x24"wide x18"deep"meats the horizontal smoking chamber (60gal air tank) and the point where the cabinet (18"wide x18"deep x24" tall) attaches how big of an opening for both I have used the BBQ calculator (and it is a great tool) but I would love some pic's If any one can help. I see the reverse flow as a good thing but how would you do it with a cabinet? would you put the intake for the cabinet? I will post some pics As I make progress thanks J$

this is what I am building on a budget I am NOT a welder or a fabercatior just not scared to try I am about $100. in this as of now so here ya go I am building one "like" this
7F9DE2E4.jpg
I started with a 60gal air tank off craigslist for $20
4A1D8FE7.jpg
then made a fire box
50636B08.jpg
D77F4587.jpg
then I cut the tank
A96669A7.jpg
and welded them together
C1B008D8.jpg
6BBBE235.jpg
591328A6-orig.jpg
then I built the frame and got her in a roller form
13C9D6F6.jpg
F5B69B7E.jpg
I am hopeing to get more done this weekend! any help is greatley appreciated

Last edited:
point where the cabinet (18"wide x18"deep x24" tall) attaches how big of an opening

Ill take a shot at this one....there is no restriction between these 2 parts....the horizontal butts into the upright...no reason to restrict the flow here....
hope that helps....
jon

It looks like you have already attached the tank to firebox....how large of an area do you have to open up...without measurements it looks like your firebox is low compared to the unit you are copying...
jon

Jon, thanks for your input :grin:..... I made it a little lower to help the "hot" spot I plan to have a pice of plate to act as a heat "defuser" as the heat and smoke enter the main chamber(pic#6)the opening can be as big as 16"wide and 8"across I was just trying to see what similar units had & teamfour thanks :wink: for the link

knockoff cabinet offset smokers *up dated*

So I got some more time this weekend to build a lil more here I cut the hole from the fire box and finished the basket and added a slideing rail for ease of tending
D5F04F57-1.jpg
and then I recycled some cast grill grates :grin: with slides
F02111CA.jpg
still need to add 1 more in there then I cut the tank and atached the cabinet smoker and got most of the doors done
6EC39D5C.jpg
I think I will put 4 sliders in here and 2 hanging hooks.Also I am thinking of puting a "water pan" on the bottom of the cabinet opening?
B859C6C3-1.jpg
IDK what do you think? and here she is so far
B469FAD1.jpg
got a lil more to do still yet but what do you think? good or bad shoulda woulda coulda :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Back