• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

rep advisories

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I do recall one of the platforms spoken about during the election was making the 30 some pages of rep advisories public. Hows that going?

Yep. They've been public for a long time, although I don't think very many people were aware of it. If I remember correctly, the talk during the election campaigning revolved around heightening cook/judge awareness of them as well as reviewing them for consideration of implementing the relevant advisories in to the rule book if feasible.

Yep. They've been public for a long time, although I don't think very many people were aware of it. If I remember correctly, the talk during the election campaigning revolved around heightening cook/judge awareness of them as well as reviewing them for consideration of implementing the relevant advisories in to the rule book if feasible.

Sorry thats what I should of written. The idea og getting them incorporated or eliminated

I downloaded them a year or 2 ago and used them as a guide to help with our
organization.

I found them quite useful.

The Rep advisories are being looked at, along with the Rules themselves, by the Rules Committee. Our goal on this Committee is to consolidate and simplify each Rule / Advisory.
If any of you have any constructive suggestions for our committee please send them either to me at dcompton@kcbs.us or to the whole committee at rules@kcbs.us and we will take a look at your suggestions. No promises on any one idea becoming an official rule but we will look at it.

Slow fingers here, after I posted I read Bunny's ^^^^^ post. Yes, any changes that a committee passes goes before the BoD for approval / denial.

The Rep advisories are being looked at, along with the Rules themselves, by the Rules Committee. Our goal on this Committee is to consolidate and simplify each Rule / Advisory.
If any of you have any constructive suggestions for our committee please send them either to me at dcompton@kcbs.us or to the whole committee at rules@kcbs.us and we will take a look at your suggestions. No promises on any one idea becoming an official rule but we will look at it.

Slow fingers here, after I posted I read Bunny's ^^^^^ post. Yes, any changes that a committee passes goes before the BoD for approval / denial.
Suggestion

G E T R I D O F P O R K P A R T I N G R U L E

Ray, it is to allow parting pork. It won't allow different cuts of meat. I guess if you wanna slice a butt into pork steak, that's fine if you have the ability to do so at a comp. No idea why anyone would want to do that though.

Rep Committee has worked on it but it has to go through the BOD for approval.

there are at least 3 that the bod has approved and never sent out. One of them is 6 months old. The other two are 4 months old.

Ray, it is to allow parting pork. It won't allow different cuts of meat. I guess if you wanna slice a butt into pork steak, that's fine if you have the ability to do so at a comp. No idea why anyone would want to do that though.

Have you possibly considered that a pork tenderloin can be trimmed in such a was as to resemble the "money muscle". If parting is allowed, there is nothing that would prevent this or be detectable by the reps or judges, so it would become a pulled and chunked pork butt with sliced pork tenderloin contest.

I don't mind the parting rule, and wouldn't mind it going a bit further. Make the entire turn in box come from a single piece of meat/slab of ribs. Other than chicken of course.
In fact if you really wanted to turn this into a skills competition, allow only a single butt, a single brisket and a single slab of ribs to be cooked. Now.. you are testing the abilities of the pitmaster.
It takes much more skill to produce suitable turn in quality meat when you only have one shot at it.

They're already public. Located in the download section of the KCBS website. http://kcbs.us/pdf/contest-rep-advisories-2010.pdf
I don't understand why the rules haven't been updated (other than they wouldn't fit on a single page) and the relivant rep advisories incorporated. It seems disingenuous to publish a set of rules that new cooks download and then have 20-30 rep advisories which are for practical purposes rule changes / amendments in another location.

Have you possibly considered that a pork tenderloin can be trimmed in such a was as to resemble the "money muscle". If parting is allowed, there is nothing that would prevent this or be detectable by the reps or judges, so it would become a pulled and chunked pork butt with sliced pork tenderloin contest.

Wasn't that the reason for the parting rule in the first place?

My problem with the parting rule is it should not take precedence over rule 17(g & h)

g. After cooking, all meat:
Must be held at 140° F or above OR​
Cooked meat shall be cooled as follows:​
Within 2 hours from 140° F to 70° F and
Within 4 hours from 70° F to 41° F or less​
h. Meat that is cooked, properly cooled, and later reheated
for hot holding and serving shall be reheated so that all​
parts of the food reach a temperature of at least 165° F​
for a minimum of 15 seconds.

After seeing a certain cook trim his pork butt last year, I think the parting rule doesn't achieve it's intent. I'm not in favor of cold pork hitting the judging table.

This is my opinion only...

I've gotten plenty of pork calls over the years... so I guess I can beat the cheaters... so let them cheat. How about I cook better and just beat them that way :)

Candy is right... the parting rule is about parting it out before cooking. After it's cooked why can't I slice/chunk/pull, then sauce, and finish/hold hot like I can every other cut of meat? The rep advisory around pork not going back onto the pit after being parted... is the piece we need to get back to reality on. Now, I'm fine either way -- everyone else has to turn in cold pork too... and my scores are not effected either way... but it is near impossible to enforce that advisory, so we have to trust the other cooks... if someone is going to cheat... they were going to cheat anyway, and have it parted to begin with. I like the Parting rule... as it was written; but once my meat is cooked, let me do whatever I want with it. :rolleyes:

My problem with the parting rule is it should not take precedence over rule 17(g & h)

g. After cooking, all meat:
Must be held at 140° F or above OR​
Cooked meat shall be cooled as follows:​
Within 2 hours from 140° F to 70° F and
Within 4 hours from 70° F to 41° F or less​
h. Meat that is cooked, properly cooled, and later reheated
for hot holding and serving shall be reheated so that all​
parts of the food reach a temperature of at least 165° F​
for a minimum of 15 seconds.

After seeing a certain cook trim his pork butt last year, I think the parting rule doesn't achieve it's intent. I'm not in favor of cold pork hitting the judging table.

This is my opinion only...

Why not change the rule on pork butt to read:
PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. Pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out) and shall not be trimmed or separated except to remove excess fat. The meat must be cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 145 degree F. Once this temperature is reached, the pork may be removed from the cooker, separated, parted, wrapped, etc. and returned to the cooker or not. At this point in the cook cycle, rule 17, section g and h must be adhered to.

Back