Two Meats for 50

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hello all, just starting out catering I would like an opinion from you more experienced at this. For those who don't know, I am starting a BBQ catering business this spring and just about have everything in place. I am doing a quote for a wedding rehersal dinner and they want beef brisket and pulled pork to serv 50 people. I am looking at cooking 5 butts 7lbs each for 35llbs of raw pork. For brisket I am looking at 3 whole packers 13lbs each for 39lbs of raw product.

Question 1 Am I going overboard on meats, not enough or just right?

Question 2 Is there a standard to use when serving multiple meats? Say X of each meat for two meats and x of each meat for three meats.

I want to have the proper amount of meat so as not to have way too much left over and the client think they paid too much because I cooked way too much but also for everyone to have a choice at the buffet.

My general rule is Pork Butts yield about 50% weight and Briskets yield about 60% weight.

With 35lbs of Pork Butts, you'll yield about 17 pounds of pulled pork. That's 52-68 servings depending on whether you do 1/3lb or 1/4lb servings.

With 39lbs of brisket, you'll yield about 23 lbs of cooked brisket. That's 69-92 servings.

Whether 2 or 3 meats on a buffet I'd plan on one portion of each per person. If the cost is too high I'd say OK how many people get brisket, how many for pork anf how many for chicekn with 3 meats. If they say some of each plan on 1` piece of chicken and 4 oz of pork or brisket and 2 or 3 ribs if St Louis cut. Work put pricing from there.

For brisket it kind of depends on what all you serve. If just the flat you'll get about 6 lbs max for a 13 lb packer. So 3 = 50 servings fine. Now if you serve some sliced point as part of the brisket then you will have more product.

Butts - 5 sounds about right.

Size of serving drives cost as well. With 2 meats a lot of folks say 4 oz each. But if it's a buffet then you need to know what else is being served and you may want slightly larger servings. And how the buffet is setup will impact how much meat people take. If you don't do the sides and don't setup the buffet I'd cook at least what you plan.

So you have around $110- $120 for cost of meat and that means at least 9 or 10 per person in my books.

Now one other thing. I don't like having others bring in food for a buffet and I just supply the meat. Any of the sides can be mishandled and therefore could make people sick but you'll be the one that gets blamed in all likelyhood. I will supply meat only but give them trays of chilled meat and they have to heat along with the ohter dishes. Make them take liability. No guarantee it works but worth trying.

For 50 people, I'd bring a 1/4# serving of each meat, so you'll need to start with 25 pounds raw each. Pair it with a salad, starch and veggie. I'd charge $600 to drop off, $750 if you need to serve it.

Thanks guy's,

I am serving the whole meal which is pulled pork, sliced brisket, sauce & buns, mac and cheese, baked beans, potato casserole, lemonade & iced tea. I am serving a buffet line and including all plates, utensils, ice, etc. It is for 50 people and I am considering quoting it for $18.00 per person. I think I will shoot for a 1/4 lb of each meat per person. I have a feeling I should be more in the $21.00 per person range but not sure I would get the gig at that price. I may go $19 per person, I have to think about it I guess.

Back