Hey bear same gauge I bought 3" adjustable River Country ebay 18.95 shipped, nicer and cheaper than the last temp gauge I bought local---
I don't know why people put a bunch of holes in their drums. Then they cook with just one tap open. You don't see four holes and taps sticking out of any commercial smokers. I run one 2" intake with a magnet cover and it works awesome. My favorite is to run a pipe to the centre under my basket so the air draws straight up through the basket and I get a nice even burn no matter what temp I cook at.
Having said this I do realize that the neat thing about a UDS is you can build it however you want.

I placed my 2 1/4" intake pipe on mine and put 2 --3/4 intakes capped JUST IN CASE--didnt want to go back later for any reason and 15 min of drilling/welding and the 3 or 4 bucks i spent didnt kill me any

Hey bear same gauge I bought 3" adjustable River Country ebay 18.95 shipped, nicer and cheaper than the last temp gauge I bought local---

I placed my 2 1/4" intake pipe on mine and put 2 --3/4 intakes capped JUST IN CASE--didnt want to go back later for any reason and 15 min of drilling/welding and the 3 or 4 bucks i spent didnt kill me any

Yeah, so far the gauge has been great. That is a huge intake pipe! Work well? I just hope I dont have to size mine up.

I'll keep that guage in mind as well. I just bought a Spicewine that was $20 but was 10 frikkin bucks just to ship it! I can buy a nice butt with $10!

Nice drum Bear.
I particularly like the high temp paint. keeps it from getting discoloration all over it, although it would be nice if the paint manufacturers could come up with something other than black.
G

Yeah, so far the gauge has been great. That is a huge intake pipe! Work well? I just hope I dont have to size mine up.

it should be plenty, I have a welder so the set-up I have cost much less than buying a ball valve. Saved money on the chain handle to ---FREE---I should be giving it the test run this weekend (possibly sooner) and will report back on how it works--uncle-in-law raises pigs so I think I may raid his freezer!!

It was mentioned a couple hundred pages ago:rolleyes:, that automotive engine paint comes in multiple colors and can withstand high temps.

Nice drum Bear.
I particularly like the high temp paint. keeps it from getting discoloration all over it, although it would be nice if the paint manufacturers could come up with something other than black.
G

Just use any engine paint that you could pick up at your local automotive store, those are heat resistant also.

I guess I will post a tentative update on my drum, but it is still a work in process...

I attached a 12 volt dc 8cfm fan from Digikey ($8 plus postage) to an available bbq thermostat (the one that uses 12volt dc fans). It worked very well with a normal charcoal burn (allowing me to regulate the temp and even push it up to 350 w/o an issue. There was much rejoicing (abet the ABT's were a bit different with the fast cook)

When I did a twig burn (small sticks), I had to open up both plugs and it still struggled long and hard to get up to that temp. I only achieved after rotating the basket mid burn - the fire was very lopsided. I learned 2 things with that burn. 1) I highly suspect 8cfm will not handle that temp with damp twigs and 2) I need to change my intake (which might help the temps as well as the burn). However while the cook took longer than I wanted it too - it was mighty fine pecan smoked chicken.

What is the current consensus on intake hole height and the height of the basket bottom? I think if I could blow under the basket bottom I would get a much more even burn.

My barrels all run a 2" pipe to the bottom centre of my basket. I get a nice even burn and with all my experimenting this is the best for my UDS. However you don't see any commercial smokers doing this so a BGE vent on a UDS would probably do as well and look cleaner than plumbing hanging out. My basket is 2 1/2" off the bottom.

Hey all!

There is a 2" chimney on the top and I am waiting for rain cap off an old tractor to come in the mail that will go on top as a damper.

Bear,

I am just getting started on my barrel and wonder if there is an advantage to one large exhaust or many small holes drilled into the lid? How much exhaust is too much exhaust? I don't know how anybody could read this thread and not want a UDS all their own..

Basket

I have a 17" diameter weber grate. I was planning to wrap it with expanded metal for the fire basket. Some on this thread have mentioned that this is too wide. Is there a perfect dimension for the fire basket

Hey all!

There is a 2" chimney on the top and I am waiting for rain cap off an old tractor to come in the mail that will go on top as a damper.

Bear,

I am just getting started on my barrel and wonder if there is an advantage to one large exhaust or many small holes drilled into the lid? How much exhaust is too much exhaust? I don't know how anybody could read this thread and not want a UDS all their own..

I like having a single, closeable exhaust so I can shut the smoker down quickly after a cook. If you close all of the intakes and exhaust, the fire will shut down quickly, and you can salvage quite a bit of charcoal.

Yup I do what Mushcreek does then wait a few days then bag and store back in the UDS just to be safe.

My barrels all run a 2" pipe to the bottom centre of my basket. I get a nice even burn and with all my experimenting this is the best for my UDS. However you don't see any commercial smokers doing this so a BGE vent on a UDS would probably do as well and look cleaner than plumbing hanging out. My basket is 2 1/2" off the bottom.

"a BGE vent on a UDS would probably do as well and look cleaner than plumbing hanging out"

Use one on mine and works good.

Paul B
SS UDS

Bottom view:
DSCF5260-1.jpg

Thank you for the info, I would like to point out that I just got here tho,,,,lol
Always eager to learn

I have a 17" diameter weber grate. I was planning to wrap it with expanded metal for the fire basket. Some on this thread have mentioned that this is too wide. Is there a perfect dimension for the fire basket

I used the 17" weber grate and ran my expanded about 1 inch in from the edge. It works well, lots of room. The other day I did a tri tip at 300* and banked the coals on one side and placed the tritip so it was indirect. Fantastic. If the basket is too big you can always overlap it to make it smaller, if you don't weld it.

Back