My 1st UDS

TrueBlueEagle

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well it's been along time coming. After tons of research, searching for parts, and deciding exactly how I wanted to build, I've finally finished her...almost!
I still dont have the novelty license plate I want to use, so i just hung this one with a magnet so you guys get the idea. Seasoned her for a few hours tonight with apple and mesquite. Looking forward to cooking on her this weekend. here ya go!

7uda9ete.jpg

jeda6any.jpg

qyse8ajy.jpg

5ubeqyba.jpg

Looks great!!! Are those adjustable grates??? I like that idea a lot! What is that exactly holding the grates and where did you get it and what is it made of??? (Run on sentence with 3 questions...sorry)

Looks great!!! Are those adjustable grates??? I like that idea a lot! What is that exactly holding the grates and where did you get it and what is it made of??? (Run on sentence with 3 questions...sorry)

It's brass shelving rail. The grate I currently have is off my weber so it didnt need seasoning. But normally you just put the clips in at whatever level you want, add the grate(s), and you're good to go! I got it at home depot and cut it to fit. I had to space it out using two 1/4" nuts behind the rail so the weber rack will fit. I really wanted adjustable so if i just did ribs I could put 3-4 racks 2-3" apart or do butt and spread the racks more like 6-8" apart.

Awesome, I like that idea a lot! It's also great for those who use a diffuser or a water pan. :clap2:

Awesome, I like that idea a lot! It's also great for those who use a diffuser or a water pan. :clap2:

definitely! I was also thinking about placing the charcoal pan on top of a rack to raise it up then a rack directly on top of that to sear steaks, etc. No sure what kinda weight wed be working with then though..

That might work - if I build another one I may go adjustable like that.

I highly recommend it. Plus I didnt like the look of random screws poking through to hold the grate.

I also use the adjustable shelving for my UDS, I love it! It makes switching meats from rack to rack a breeze, the clips are easy to remove even with the UDS cruising at and up to temp.

Good job. You took your time and it shows. The adjustable rack is always a good thing. that puppy is gonna work great.
Congrats.

Awesome UDS. If I had the room I'd definitely build one of those :thumb:
Make room! I'm really looking forward to getting to use this baby.

She's a beauty! You're gonna love it!

I got excited when I first saw your name, thought it was going to be a fellow GSU eagle fan.. Judging by your location, I assume it's different eagle haha!

Looks good. I also did the adjustable rack system. It does add a whole new level of diversity when it comes to placing racks, water pans, and diffusers. What kind of paint did you use?

Chad

Back