• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lighting a fire in Medium Sized Stickburner with Pics!

What size expanded metal are you guys using. One of the problems I have had is having too large of holes in the expanded metal and the coals fall through before I get the next split on.

I don't know the exact size.. i just got the smallest available for the top of the firebasket.. i was having the same problem as you are now.. threw that up there been good to go every since..

Very informative post DownHomeQue! You've given me the idea of using a grate with smaller openings to lay on top of the existing fire grate...thanks a bunch

Remember too that you can put a second piece of expanded metal on top of the first, but turn it 90 degrees. Makes for smaller holes for the burnt embers to fall through.

Brethren-newbie here; been lurking for a little while but figured this post was addressed to my kind...

Very informative post. I'm still trying to perfect the cheap little offset we use and I threw together a makeshift box with the expanded for our last competition, but it looks like we have been using way too much charcoal to keep our fire going. Curious... for a just a KCBS cook on an average weekend, how much wood are you bringing for that pit alone, and what are you running at?

Thanks downhome! It took me a while to figure out that the fire box dosen't need to be crammed full. I hope you save some people from filling there cooking chambers with whit smoke! (BTW. I just picked up a weed burner from harbor freight. It's my new favorite toy:rolleyes: Scares the dogs to death though)

Brethren-newbie here; been lurking for a little while but figured this post was addressed to my kind...

Very informative post. I'm still trying to perfect the cheap little offset we use and I threw together a makeshift box with the expanded for our last competition, but it looks like we have been using way too much charcoal to keep our fire going. Curious... for a just a KCBS cook on an average weekend, how much wood are you bringing for that pit alone, and what are you running at?

I use about a split or 2 an hour... Have cooked for little over 16 hours with about 20-24 splits.. Doesn't use as much fuel as u might think.. Temps are 275-325 for my cooking temps.. In my main chamber... Keep in mind my vertical runs about 75 degrees less than the main cooking chamber...

Last edited:
I love cooking on a stick burner and yes it's true a small hot fire is much easier to manage. I start my fires with a weed burner too because it's a fun! Guess I'm a pyro. :grin::razz:

Back