• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket, Fatty's, and Sausages... (Pron)

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Got a 14.78# Choice Certified Angus Beef brisket last night. Trimmed it up this afternoon. Doing a more thorough trim, I can definitely see the difference between the flat and the point. I been slicing these things wrong all along. I injected it with a little beef broth and got it rubbed down with salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and a little chile powder for extra measure. Plan on firing up the grill once we get home (around 3 am) and throwing it on around 4. Probably run 275 with KBB and a little Pecan & Mesquite.

I also have a spicy stuffed and bacon wrapped fatty, a sweet Maple stuffed and bacon wrapped fatty, and some sausage that will go on the grill tomorrow afternoon when the brisket comes off. Sides of beans and Spanish rice. Not to mention The wife's Korean dishes she is making.

Going to be a long day, but in a good way... :mrgreen:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 359
Cool - slice off a corner so you know where to do your slices once cooked cuz it's hard to tell after cooked. :thumb:

Thanks for that video Smitty. I did notch a corner (bottom right of photo) to remember the slice against the grain, I just didn't do it as deep. That video is good, first time I've seen that one. I probably trimmed a little more than he did. My point folds almost halfway back. It had a deep vein as he calls it.

I am hoping for a 12 hour cook. Going to start around 250* and then foil when I hit my color. Might have to kick the temp up towards the end if it appears it is taking longer.

I might be in the minority, but I don't really prefer a black or meteor looking bark. Dark brown or a reddish brown (due to the chili powder) is my preference.

This things ready early. It is almost probe tender now. Opened up the foil and letting it finish getting to "butter". Need to get my cooler ready. Going to need to hold for another 5+ hours...

Hoping this brisket turns out good. Didn't cook quite like the last couple I have made. It resting now before slicing. Beans in crock pot, fatty's on grill, pico de gallo made, sausage coming up soon, and then spanish rice...

Attachments

• Brisket 2.jpg
    Brisket 2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 290
  • Brisket 3.jpg
    Brisket 3.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 290
  • Brisket 4.jpg
    Brisket 4.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 290
Thanks for the video! Very helpful as I ponder what it's going to take to tackle my first brisket. (gotta wait for the PBC to get here mid May).

Sorry it took so long to respond. Was a long, late night....

Plenty of food and drink, and we sat out on the deck until early this morning talking with friends. Lots of rave reviews about the food. including the brisket that I thought was over done...

Attachments

• BBQ 5.jpg
    BBQ 5.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 248
  • BBQ 4.jpg
    BBQ 4.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 248
  • BBQ 3.jpg
    BBQ 3.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 247
  • BBQ 2.jpg
    BBQ 2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 247
  • BBQ 1.jpg
    BBQ 1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 248
  • BBQ 6.jpg
    BBQ 6.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 248
  • BBQ 7.jpg
    BBQ 7.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 248
  • BBQ 8.jpg
    BBQ 8.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 249
  • BBQ 9.jpg
    BBQ 9.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 247
  • BBQ 11.jpg
    BBQ 11.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 249
  • BBQ 12.jpg
    BBQ 12.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 249
  • BBQ 13.jpg
    BBQ 13.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 247
Sorry, I should have added some descriptions to the Korean dishes. I don't know the names, but I can give a basic description. The five starting with the one after the Spanish Rice are:

1. Steamed squid with a spicy chili dipping sauce.
2. Cabbage Kimchi
3. The egg dish is a sweet and spicy soy sauce braised beef dish. About half way through the cooking she adds the eggs so they hard boil in the braise. Once they are cooked, she will peel them and add them back to the braise.
4. Steamed spinach with garlic, sesame seed oil and seeds.
5. A spicy Tofu and Mushroom dish. Not a fav of mine. First, not real appetizing to look at, second, it's tofu, and finally, those mushrooms (they look like noodles in the picture) are long and stringy / chewy.

The last picture is just some homemade Pico De Gallo.

Thanks for the compliments on the brisket. As I said, everyone thought it was great and that I was being too critical on myself. I guess that is what happens when you read the forums like this and want perfection... :mad:

I'm curious to know how you made the bacon basket weave? I've made some of the others, but never seen them angled up like that.

Back