Brisket statement ...

RatRod

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Called around looking for a "Packer" and out of 4 butchers 3 tried to talk me into a flat ?!?!? Seems to me that from a business standpoint I'd GLADLY sell you fat (what they are all calling "waste") for the same per lb price as prime angus.

The only place I've seen a packer in the cabinet is Walmart which I usually look down my nose at for meat.

Why the butcher dilemma and you ever cooked a Wally World brisket ?

There is a restaurant depot in richmond, they have choice and their own labeled superiour angus choice briskets - full packers - always available.

Need a membership to get in, which you can get when you join KCBS or if you can provide ID for any type of business (i got my card from someone who is a wholesaler of silk flowers - nothing to do with the food industry or retail)

I have done several walmart choice grade packer's and they cook/eat just as well as the restaurant depot choice grade packers.

Awesome !!! As far as Packer vs flat.... Seems like a win win on their side why do they talk down the packer you think ? Costco (my go to) sells flats but it seems everyone in the know says packers are the way to go ?!?!? Confusing for a first timer

I buy pork shoulders -both picnic and butt and brisket from Walmart and they've been Delicious ............

Called around looking for a "Packer" and out of 4 butchers 3 tried to talk me into a flat ?!?!? Seems to me that from a business standpoint I'd GLADLY sell you fat (what they are all calling "waste") for the same per lb price as prime angus.

The only place I've seen a packer in the cabinet is Walmart which I usually look down my nose at for meat.

Why the butcher dilemma and you ever cooked a Wally World brisket ?

They probably only have flats.

Butchers and stores will sell flats at a much higher price per pound.

Also people selling them see the amount of fat that is on a packer and think that you are wasting money buying layers and layers of fat on that piece of meat. Little do they know that a well cooked full packer is some of the best pieces of beef you can put in your mouth.

Here s the Straight Skinny packers are cheap compared to market trim flats. Butchers But Packers for 2.00 lb Remove the Flats, Trim off all or almost all of the fat cap, Cut in to 2-3 pieces to sell to Yidish grandmothers for 6.50 lb, Points are ground or chunked and sold for Stew meat, Chili meat or made into sausage and sold for 3.50 lb. That 25.00 packer just put 7 5.00 in his pocket and that is why butchers push Flats.

I've cooked 4 briskets from Wally World and they've come out great. I check for marbling, flexibility, and the thickness of the flat. The ones my local Wally World has are stamped choice and cost $2.58/lb

Our Walmarts here carry Excel brand briskets, which is the same brand that Sams carries, and Kroger, and a few local stores carry Excel brand. Most of the Walmart ones I see are not graded.

i did my first brisket ever last weekend and it came from wal-mart ...maybe i dont know any better but it was amazing ....as a matter of fact im buying another one to do this weekend

Our Walmarts here carry Excel brand briskets, which is the same brand that Sams carries, and Kroger, and a few local stores carry Excel brand. Most of the Walmart ones I see are not graded.

My Kroger stores carry Excel briskets, but they are all Select grade. That's the lowest grade.

CD

I bought 2 packers from Walmart before Memorial day this year. They were both Excel brand and choice grade ( they had choice and select all mixed in the same cooler, so you have to look). They were on sale for $1.77 lb. They were both delicious off my uds. I'm hoping to do the same for Labor day ( dove season here in south Texas ).

Back