• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pretty Good BBQ 2013 Dayton, Ohio

We are home safe, and unloaded at 5:38pm CDT.

Thank you Curt, my Brothers in smoke, my Brothers in Christ, and my Brother in blood.

I was truly blessed by this weekend. More than ever I needed to hang out with you guys.

It was astounding to me to watch my kids interact with the kids in the neighborhood like they were lifelong friends.

May God bless each and every one of you that came to cook, assist, BS, share, encourage, teach, etc...

One highlight was the call from Dan.
Made me weep. It was good to hear his voice. And even though we were on the phone for a scant few minutes, he managed to minister to me.

Incredible weekend all. Roger, it was a pleasure to serve you. Pat, love you brother, more than you know. Harbor, great to spend extra time with you and the Clark boys. Bandit, one of the hardset workers I have ever met. Bubba, gifted and blessed. All of you there, you moved me. Blessed to work with you, and to meet some of the wonderful people in the community and serve them. Brethren, God had blessed you with the gift of cooking, when possible, share it!
What about the guy driving thru the Family Dollar?

I posted this on the FB page, too, so pardon the repetition:

I'm starting my week now, back to normal, I guess. But I choose to hold on to thoughts of what it means to have served hundreds of people, hopefully giving God a chance to show them that He loves them. It may seem odd that getting a sandwich can do that, but you'd be surprised.

Sometimes all it takes is changing an expectation. Someone may have come through with an attitude yesterday, sat down with their sandwich, opened it, and saw a sandwich bigger than their head... and it made them ask why? That's all God needs to be able to speak to that person.

And, if you were with us last weekend, or supporting us in another way, you were part of that opportunity.

Thanks for helping a neighborhood get a chance to sit down and meet God.

Hogsbreath (Ohio) Harbormaster Wisconsin) with their kids preping butts

BBQ Bull (Mich) BBQ Bubba (Mich) BBQ Bandit (PA) Divemaster (ILL)

BBQ Bubba (Mich) packing Bandits smoker reamebering what is like to be a Stickburner

Attachments

• DSCN0322.jpg
    DSCN0322.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN0329.jpg
    DSCN0329.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN0332.jpg
    DSCN0332.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 88
Great shots. I don't think I have ever seen Curt in a photo, he usually in on the lens

Last to show up at home

To work with these guyz is always a blessing. However I require an extra day in advance and a day afterwards to crash and recharge my batteries, top off the reserves, and plenty of Mt. Dew to keep the motor running.

You guys will be blessed for your help today! I'm sure you already have been,

We don't have to wait, we were blessed all weekend. The weather was supposed to have rained (but you could check it on the hour and the chance of that diminished each time), all the help that came out from the church, all the brothers that came out, heck even one nearby resident that helped keep us up all night with his near constant chatter.

I've been going through a rough stretch for the last couple of months. Between Ramona's parents, my mother, work, the tree, and the flood. It was just what I needed to take my thoughts away from my immediate circle and let me stretch out to another to remind me just how truly blessed I am.

Again, I thank everyone that came out, or didn't but, supported this wonderful event.

Did we make a difference? The following conversation happened around 5:00 Saturday evening:

Me:
"How you doing? It's a great evening isn't it?"

Him:
"Yea, not bad."

Me:
"Ya know, we've got some hotdog's made up, you hungry?"

Him after we gave him a couple of dogs and chips:
"I was going to hit you all up for money, but this means more than you know. I haven't eaten all day. a couple of bucks wouldn't have gotten me all this. Where you all from?"

Me:
"I'm from the north side of Chicago, Clark is from Wisconsin, Bubba is from Michigan, Bob is from Pennsylvania, and the rest are from Ohio. How about you stop by tomorrow, we'll have sandwiches and more"

Him:
"All that way just to cook for us? Dang!"

Me:
"We just want you to know that there are people out there that care."

Him:
"Thank you man, thank you and bless you."

So you can see, we were blessed within hours of arriving.

Great shots. I don't think I have ever seen Curt in a photo, he usually in on the lens

There's good reason for that.
He's not just bow ties any more!

Last edited:
More pics!

Its a beautiful thing to see an idea develop ...

From this - before the Brethren invaded Dayton...
picture.php

To a few hours afterwards.
picture.php

picture.php

The Brethren... from left to right.
Clark - Harbormaster, Jeff - Divemaster, Bruce - Hogsbreath, Roger - The Pigman,
Bob - BBQ Bandit, Mike -BBQ Bull, Pat - Patrick's BBQ, Steve - BBQ Bubba, and Scott - SBostick.
picture.php

Flying of the colors...
picture.php

BBQ Bubba trimming the briskets... (Yes - we did put him to work.)
picture.php

Filling the Lang 36... 10 butts!
picture.php

Filling the Lang 84... 39 butts!
picture.php

picture.php

Now for the bonus trivia question... guess who showed up?
picture.php

There was a funny moment - when Jeff's Lang was getting loaded back on the truck. Steve (BBQ Bubba) was walking/pushing the smoker up the ramp... and the weight was flexing the ramp board very much. Instantly out of his mouth...

"These boards are not Bubba proof".... had to be there.
picture.php

Last edited:
That's an awesome thing you guys are doing there every year!

Back