Bad tasting babybacks

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Tasted like fish! They might be imported. Is this a rare taste? Think I'll go back to spares. I have 6 more BBs in the freezer bought at a different time and place. Hopefully they'll be better.

Ty

Damn, mabe they were pressed up agaist a frozen piece of cat fish?

If the rest of`em taste like fish, you might be getting at that age? :)

kapndsl said:
Were they the "Danish" ones?
By any chance??

TIM
Tim, that was my first thought too. If so, we need a shovel:sad:

I know where they're not going...my pie hole. The new rub was good though. I cut the cayenne by half and added 1/4 Chipoltle, and 1/4 New Mexico chili powders. May have to cut 1/2 of the remaining cayenne for the wife.

Ty

Hopefully nothing in my rub. It on the butt still on the grates.

Qczar said:
Damn, mabe they were pressed up agaist a frozen piece of cat fish?

If the rest of`em taste like fish, you might be getting at that age? :)
This is a real thought!
My Baby Girl put some vac-bagged Que I gave her in the freezer with a whole lot of Salmon (Phil knows "from where").
She said it tasted like--guess what--Salmon
icon_evil.gif

Could have been her "hyper taste buds", or....????
Can not imagine flavors migrating like that, but maybe?

Don't know.

TIM

kapndsl said:
This is a real thought!
My Baby Girl put some vac-bagged Que I gave her in the freezer with a whole lot of Salmon (Phil knows "from where").
She said it tasted like--guess what--Salmon
icon_evil.gif

Could have been her "hyper taste buds", or....????
Can not imagine flavors migrating like that, but maybe?

Don't know.

TIM

I have seen "flavor migration" in the frozen food compartment of a household refrigerator, when strong flavored food like fish was stored improperly wrapped along with other stuff-and of course it happens in the fridge sometimes. I have never seen or heard of it in a case where food was properly packaged
and stored in a deep freeze at low temps.

Ty, I can't explain the flavor migration, but have had the occasional "off tasting" bad rack of ribs. Don't sweat it too much, especially since the other racks of BB's that you have are from a different source. The others are bound to be better and hopefully devoid of the nautical mod.

I, too, have had an "off" package of ribs. It has made me a lot more picky in the meat I get. I try to stick with cryovacs at this point.

Hi Guys, new to posting here but been reading for a long time and you have helped me alot. I've been in the meat bussiness for along time and if the ribs were cryoed and were getting old but not quite "bad" yet according to the meat person, they take them out of the cryo and wrap them in smaller packages to try to get rid of them faster but they already have a off taste to them, i've had many complants about this at different places i've worked because they don't want to toss them and take the loss and most of the time they get away with it because the people will come back and buy more because they think they did somthing wrong to them. If you buy the ribs in cryo packages make sure the blood in the package doesn't have a milky look to it that means they have been around along time and either cryo or film wrapped it shouldn't have a sour smell, if it kinda smells off and after it airs out it or you rinse it off and it smells ok that is alright but not that sour smell you'll know it when you smell it.
I have had ribs beef and pork that had that almost fishy taste because of this. Sorry this was so long hope it helps.
Smokeyy

I've had cryo'd ribs that I got from Smart & Final that had a sour smell when opened. One time it was so bad I threw them away, but other times I have rinsed them and they seemed to be ok. Didn't really taste bad. I don't know if they were bad or just starting to go bad. I try to only buy cryo's that don't have any air space in them.

smokeyy said:
Hi Guys, new to posting here but been reading for a long time and you have helped me alot. I've been in the meat bussiness for along time and if the ribs were cryoed and were getting old but not quite "bad" yet according to the meat person, they take them out of the cryo and wrap them in smaller packages to try to get rid of them faster but they already have a off taste to them, i've had many complants about this at different places i've worked because they don't want to toss them and take the loss and most of the time they get away with it because the people will come back and buy more because they think they did somthing wrong to them. If you buy the ribs in cryo packages make sure the blood in the package doesn't have a milky look to it that means they have been around along time and either cryo or film wrapped it shouldn't have a sour smell, if it kinda smells off and after it airs out it or you rinse it off and it smells ok that is alright but not that sour smell you'll know it when you smell it.
I have had ribs beef and pork that had that almost fishy taste because of this. Sorry this was so long hope it helps.
Smokeyy

So long? No way, Smokeyy, thanks for sharing your insider information! Honestly, there are a lot of us that could benefit from what you know, so don't be shy. ;)

You know what's coming now... Git on over to the Cattle Call, bro! <grin>

Arlin

Arlin_MacRae said:
So long? No way, Smokeyy, thanks for sharing your insider information! Honestly, there are a lot of us that could benefit from what you know, so don't be shy. ;)

You know what's coming now... Git on over to the Cattle Call, bro! <grin>

Arlin

Anyone who works in the meat industry is like a super-hero around here so don't be shy!

I opened a cryo pack of 3 racks myself two weekends ago that didn't smell quite right. They looked OK, so I rinsed and they seemed fine, so I continued with them, until they were all eaten.

Question: I've been getting these (Swift Premium) at Costo, and I'll be damned if I can find a best by date on them, aside from Costco's own sell by label. When they are packed like that, how long should they be good for refrigerated? (Frozen I'm not worried about - at 20 below stuff stays good longer then they will stay around my house before they are cooked and eaten.) Is there some coding on these packs somewhere that I am missing that tells when they were packed?

Thanks

I was wondering about that myself. I just started buying meat at Jetro (Restaraunt Depot - a wholesale grocery chain) and none of the raw meat has sell by dates. How do I know it's good?

timzcardz said:
I opened a cryo pack of 3 racks myself two weekends ago that didn't smell quite right. They looked OK, so I rinsed and they seemed fine, so I continued with them, until they were all eaten.

Question: I've been getting these (Swift Premium) at Costo, and I'll be damned if I can find a best by date on them, aside from Costco's own sell by label. When they are packed like that, how long should they be good for refrigerated? (Frozen I'm not worried about - at 20 below stuff stays good longer then they will stay around my house before they are cooked and eaten.) Is there some coding on these packs somewhere that I am missing that tells when they were packed?

Thanks
On almost all primal cuts that come in you will not find any best by dates on the cryo and on the boxes that they come in most only have a packed date on them, most places put 7-10 days on them from when they come in or from when they price them which doesn't tell the person that is buying them how fresh or old they are. most everything that comes in is at least a week old and most of the meat has about a 4 week life in the cryo but rarely lasts that long at most stores. The sell by dates on the stores label is probley close to what it should be, the thing is to find out when your store gets there deliverys in and then buy a day or two later since you have a better chance of getting the meat form the last delivery and not the one before that if they don't have a high turnover rate,and the best is to get to know the meat person that works there and ask for the newest stuff

I bought some frozen papaya slices once that tasted like fish. I went back to the store and everyone who worked there played dumb. Finely I got a clerk to admit that they had had a bad shipment of frozen papaya slices that came from a packaging firm located in Mexico. Aparently they package a number of items including fish. They had just run a batch of fish and then switched over to papaya without cleaning the equipment.

Hoorenga said:
I bought some frozen papaya slices once that tasted like fish. I went back to the store and everyone who worked there played dumb. Finely I got a clerk to admit that they had had a bad shipment of frozen papaya slices that came from a packaging firm located in Mexico. Aparently they package a number of items including fish. They had just run a batch of fish and then switched over to papaya without cleaning the equipment.

Now that's just nasty. Fish flavored fruit.

Back