Burnt ends question.........

pigdog

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
my wife loves burnt ends. They never seem to go far enough or last long enough. Briskets are like buying gold up here, so as a result, I don't cook them too often. Question, is there any other beef cut that one could make burnt ends out of? Could you cook up a chuckie like a point? Can you buy only the point? This may be a goofy question, but I would like to do like 3-4 lbs of burnt ends.

Any ideas or is this just a stupid idea?

Not a stupid idea - cause Burnt Ends are delicious!
I have been known to dice up a flat and make fake burnt ends - still pretty tasty. Don't know about a chuckie but it can't taste bad.

I think you're on the right track. I can't see any reason why a chuck roast wouldn't work just fine for burnt ends. In fact, I think I'll try it next weekend!

Do you have a local butcher? If so, they can get you any cut you want. But, the point, or deckle, is probably called blade beef close to the chuck. The chuck and the brisket come from the shoulder part of the beef - the chuck being the "top" cut and the brisket the "bottom" cut.

beefprimalcuts2.jpg

Crazy! I can buy a chuckie for 1.49 lb. I have never found a brisket for less than 2.00a lb. Before you know it I am out close to 30 bucks on a 12-14 lb packer

I've been doing chuck rolls all this year. Haven't done a brisket in a long time.
Seems to me a chuckie would make pretty good burnt ends. I may have to try it.

What about a tri-tip? I am going to grill up one today and was thinking maybe cubing up a part of it to make burnt ends. Anyone try that?????

Well, just to be clear for the newbies, but the brisket is the chest muscle.

just sayin'

:becky:

Russ

Yep, better wording would have been "The chuck and the brisket come from the shoulder end of the beef (nearer the head)" rather than "The chuck and the brisket come from the shoulder part of the beef."

Just did burnt ends on a 3lb chuck roast a few weeks ago. Turned out really good. Cooked at about 300 for 2 hours then foiled for about an hour. Chopped it up added sauce and back on the grill, uncovered, for another hour or so. You might need to lower the temp to keep the sauce from burning. Nothing beats a point for burnt ends but this is very good in its own right.

Back